Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?

More
3 years 7 months ago #37390 by TonyB
Any further updates on the Fennix Swordfish S compared to the older model? In particular speed and stability comparisons. 

The general feeling in previous posts is that it has less stability. What is it comparable to? Is it Elite S level stability or more stable than that?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #37406 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
No the Swordfish S Fennix is not an elite. It is only slightly more twitchy than the older Swordfish S. I wouldn't have been able to Millers Runs in it if it was elite. No ways! I would class both boats as lower to mid-intermediate boats. One thing I did notice that hasn't been mentioned: the Fennix is a far stiffer boat that the older Swordfish S (carbon hybrid). When going over chop the older S has clunk due to the flex in it. The Fennix never does that. The stiffness can account for the slightly less stable feel perhaps.
Another thing in praise of both boats: they never ever leak. Not a drop comes out of the bung hole so the extent that I don't bother to look anymore. To me this is really important. They are very well made and excellently finished.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Rod Thomas. Reason: Added S to Swordfish S Fennix

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
3 years 7 months ago #37412 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
Sorry, slight off topic. Why is it called Fennix!
Why not just Fenn, why Fennix? That name has bothered me all this time.
Reading this post, I finally got it. It just hit me!!!

Phoenix was the Greek mythological bird that arise from the fire and ash of its predecessor. It died in a flame, and a new bird arise from the ash.

The Fenn factory was burned down to ashes. Now it is reborn as Fennix.
Cool, that makes sense.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #37413 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
Anyone know when a container of Fennix boats will hit the US? California specifically?

Edit - I see the first  container landed a couple months ago!
www.oceanpaddlesports.com/2020/07/25/oce...ports-fenn-surfskis/
Now I need to try the new SF and Elite. if only I didnt hate driving through LA so, so, so much...
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by MCImes.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37414 by agooding2
Probably check with the California dealer, Ocean Paddlesports in Costa Mesa: www.oceanpaddlesports.com/fenn-surfskis/

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #37425 by Davidw
It's seems a common perception in this thread that the Fennix Swordfish is slightly less stable than the previous Swordfish S. I paddle an Evo II and I think that consensus on stability was similar, that the Evo was slightly less stable. Is it primary stability that is being compared? I'd be interested to know whether the Fennix Swordfish is more or less stable than an Evo II. Robin.Mousley you have time in both. Your thoughts? May be that the sharper V in the Fennix with more volume forward, which would make more Evo II like, contribute to the slightly greater instability vs the previous model?
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Davidw.

Latest Forum Topics