Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?

• BigFish
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #36012 by BigFish
Fenn Fennix Boats - any different? was created by BigFish
Are the new Fenn Fennix boats different to the existing models?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #36013 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
Interesting - I am also curious. There is basically 0 information on google. This is all I found from 

www.gumtree.co.za/a-kayaks-paddle-boats/...21805250910268563009

Now in Stock
Glass Vacuum Surf Skis
Fennix Blu Fin S
Fennix XTS
Fennix Swordfish S
Available to view at Orka Paddling Shop 391 Main Rd Kirstenhof

Does the Fennix refer to boats that are being made while the factory is rebuilt or something? They have the same appearance and decals, although the only pic I could find didnt show much. 

Looks like I see a bow carrying handle on the new XTS? any news if that will be standard on new gen skis? Also notice the lettering is different. Hmmmm

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by MCImes.

More
4 years 2 months ago #36015 by bajax
I spoke to Travis and he said that they have done some changes on the Swordfish S Fennix but their communication to potential clients is rather lacking . Maybe Rob can contact them and fill us in ? 

More
4 years 2 months ago #36016 by Ranga
Sorry to inform you the handle is not on the Fenn but the Epic behind it!

More
4 years 2 months ago #36017 by Atlas
Well spotted Ranga.

Fenn make great skis but they are close to useless when it comes to providing up to date information about their skis to prospective customers. Their website doesn't seem to have been up dated for 2 years. They don't even list the XTS.
I hope they look after Robin. He is almost the only source of info many of us have access to.
They have no doubt been busy recently but their communication was hopeless well before the fire.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #36021 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
Arg! Indeed the handle is on the Epic in the background.

Dear Fenn, I love you, but please consider adding handles and updating your website within a month of updates to your products :)

And in honor of 2020, shouldnt it be Fennxx? (just joking) 

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #36030 by Wiid
The fennix boats are all different to the previous ones. Some have minor tweaks some have big differences. The elite S single has a new nose and deck. The seat is also a bit narrower. I know this because there is one lying in the rack next to my boat in the boat house. 

All the original moulds and plugs were lost in the fire. Its impossible to recreate them exactly like the originals. This is was also a good opportunity to tweak a few things. 

I will see if I can snap a picture or two and post it here.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Wiid. Reason: Spelling

• BigFish
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #36033 by BigFish
Replied by BigFish on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
I guess we will have to wait and see if the new boats are better than the old

More
4 years 2 months ago #36034 by [email protected]
Hmmm...  quite difficult to get info out of Fenn themselves.

But I do have some crumbs of information:
  • The Elite S has changed somewhat.  Feedback is that some paddlers find them the same stability, some find it slightly less but faster.
  • Blue-fin has a minor change to the nose.
  • The Swordfish S has slightly more volume in the nose, bucket and rudder position slightly changed, bucket design modified to take the coccyx grinding feature out (yay).  I've arranged to get hold of a demo boat to try... 
  • The XT S hasn't changed (the plug survived the fire).
  • The Elite S double has higher rails and less rocker.
  • The factory is almost complete, last details being finished off; they've taken the opportunity to optimize the layout, including custom stands, etc.
Hoping for more info in the not too distant future, but I'll be chatting to people who own the new boats and getting my hands on the new Swordfish S ASAP.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bajax, Atlas

More
4 years 1 month ago #36066 by [email protected]
Had some fun over the weekend with the Fennix Swordfish S.

I did two downwinds in it, and despite being in considerable pain from a raw coccyx that I inflicted on myself a few days earlier, I had a blast downwind in it.

So much so, that I wrote a "first looks" piece on the site. 

Fennix Swordfish S - First Looks

I'm going to borrow the boat again and write it up in more detail, but I got enough out of the two runs to know that I do want to spend more time it. 

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #36077 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
Hi Rob,
I found your review fascinating. I have had a SF S Fennix since Christmas and been using it in Fish Hoek very often. I was given to understand that it was exactly the same as my SF S in Japan. But your review says not! Which explains a lot.
1. I felt slightly more tippy when I got on it first. I put this down to jetlag and being tense about sharks. But it was the boat. I have done two mild Millers Runs in it and didn't fall out but I had the wobbles at times.
2. I found it slightly more difficult to remount which is explained by the higher sides. As a result I have practiced more which is good.
3. The  footplate is a great improvement. It does away with the allen key adjustment. My SF S in Japan is very floppy and I have to correct with left if steering right etc esp downwind when rudder control is critical but the Fennix is much more solid and positive. 
4. I confirmed mine is also 15kg. I find it stiffer than my SF S which is carbon hybrid
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Rod Thomas. Reason: correction

More
4 years 1 month ago #36086 by Ronbo
Higher volume nose, slight V-shape forward on the hull, higher sides, slightly less stable and "livelier" feel? Sounds like it's veering a little towards a Carbonology Zest?

More
4 years 1 month ago #36095 by Imola
Looks like the ski is shorter, can anyone measure it overall and also the waterline?

I wonder if the boat is slower if the water is flat.

Is the beam the same?

Is the bucket the same width or narrower than the old SF-S

More
4 years 1 month ago #36103 by [email protected]
Good questions all.

I can confirm the overall length is identical.  The waterline?  The real question is: is there more rocker or not?  I thought there might be, given the feel of the boat on the runs.  It's a tricky thing to measure though.  How do you do it?  Put both boats onto flat calm water and mark off the waterline? 

I think I measured the same beam (as more or less identical), but I'll confirm that when I get my hands on it again (which may be tomorrow).

I'll check the bucket; I was in so much pain from my skinned backside that I couldn't really judge anything about the seat.

One of my paddling buddies took his brand new carbon boat on a Miller's yesterday and was well pleased.  Coming off an Elite S, he said that he thought the Elite S accelerated onto the runs a little easier, but he was impressed with the glide of the Swordfish S.  He said his bum got rubbed by the seat, though and a pad will be in his future.  Overall he was well pleased - he was looking for more stability than the Elite S, and got it.  I'll be interested to see how he goes over the coming weeks as he gets used to the Swordfish.  We paddle together a lot, so it'll be an interesting test to see how we go.

Rob

More
4 years 1 month ago #36124 by [email protected]
I spent a while with my tape measure on the boat again this weekend...

Here are some nuggets of information:

Just in front of the cockpit, the diameter of the Fennix Swordfish S hull is greater than the old Swordfish by 3cm.
500mm from the tail of the boat, the diameter of the hull is smaller by 1cm. 

Implication: there's less volume in the tail and more volume in the nose. 

And that explains (I think) the difference in behavior when surfing runs.  I also checked the rocker and as far as I could tell, there's no significant change.

I also measured the cockpit.

The bucket is actually 1cm narrower at the rails than the old Swordfish S, so it should be a slightly more snug fit.

But...  the bottom of the bucket is approximately 2cm higher than then the old Swordfish S - and I think that's why I feel more tippy in it.  The footwell, on the other hand, is only about 5mm higher than the old boat.  So you're in a better sitting position.

I paddled it again in extremely rough, confused waves for a Miller's Run.  I struggled paddling up and cross-wind, taking many brace strokes.  A buddy who was paddling my Swordfish S, left me behind going up to the rock.  But, going downwind, I dropped him and enjoyed working the small, confused runs. 

In summary, in my opinion...:
  • The boat tracks straighter than the old version.  And it's maneuverable enough with standard rudder.
  • It accelerates onto the runs as well as, if not better than the current Swordfish S
  • It doesn't dip the nose and decelerate the way the current boat does if you let it.
  • It glides further and easier, making it easier to put sequences together.
And also:
  • Because the rocker doesn't appear to have changed, it should have similar performance on flat water.
  • You're sitting higher, so you're in an ergonomically better paddling position, but, it means for me that the boat is perceptibly more tippy.

Rob

More
4 years 1 month ago #36223 by mcbit

robin.mousley wrote: Good questions all.
I'll check the bucket; I was in so much pain from my skinned backside that I couldn't really judge anything about the seat.

Have you tried a spot of Vaseline on the coccyx before you get in the boat. It has work for me since my very painful experience in Fish Hoek last year.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36224 by [email protected]

Have you tried a spot of Vaseline on the coccyx before you get in the boat. It has work for me since my very painful experience in Fish Hoek
last year.

Yep, I usually do...

What happened was that I had paddled the Carbonology Boost S3 a few days before - and the front seat on the S3 was what skinned my coccyx.  So when I got to the Fennix Swordfish S, I was already damaged goods!

Incidentally I've heard indirectly that Fenn disagree with my assertion that the seat is higher in Fennix Swordfish S - so I'll be redoing those measurements even more carefully.

Rob

More
3 years 11 months ago #36574 by JohnK
Hi Rob,
As the lock down restrictions are being eased slowly it looks promising that we will be able to get out to try the Fennix Swordfish. I was wondering if you had had another opportunity to do a couple of runs with it?
Is the seat really higher that the current S model?
Cheers
J

More
3 years 11 months ago #36575 by [email protected]

I was wondering if you had had another opportunity to do a couple of runs with it?

We're still solidly locked down...  :-(

Very keen to have another go when we're allowed.  At the moment it's 100% badminton for me (we set up a garden "court" which has the occasional hazard - trees, bushes, planters - on either side).  Who knew that badminton could be such an energetic, vicious, tactical game?  It's awesome.

Is the seat really higher that the current S model?

I have to report that while other paddlers agree with my assessment that it's a little more twitchy than the current S model, I've heard indirectly that Fenn themselves say that the seat is NOT higher.  Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to do my measurements again.  I thought I did it pretty carefully and thoroughly, but they should know! 

Rob

• Scott S
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #36586 by Scott S
Replied by Scott S on topic Fenn Fennix Boats - any different?
I recently trialled both the Swordfish S and Fennix Swordfish S. Most notable differences were the Fenix is definitely less stable.
The Fennix seat allowed me more effective leg drive. Can’t explain why but it was quite noticeable for me.

Latest Forum Topics