SwordfishG1 access port

• 795511643882515@facebook
  • Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #33450 by 795511643882515@facebook
SwordfishG1 access port was created by 795511643882515@facebook
Anyone know what evil lies below the thin skin of a G1Swordfish? Boat is a hybrid layup. I am considering putting an access port in the forward face of the hump. Wondering if main stringer is attached to that surface? If so, I am thinking a small cutout there to allow access to bilges on either side should not significantly affect longitudinal strenth.
Anyone have experience with this? Thoughts?
Thx,
Brandon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33451 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic SwordfishG1 access port
Yes there is a foam stringer down the middle of the ski.
 Generally will only cause issues with leaking and adding weight. 

• Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #33452 by 795511643882515@facebook
Replied by 795511643882515@facebook on topic SwordfishG1 access port
Thank you Ranga.
Hopefully, my work will not leak!
But, you made me think about how perfectly flat or, not, that spot is.
Weight is the point here. At 68k, the SF is on tip toes.  Since I need to bring a substantial supply of water in the summer, when I am out paddling long distance, would like to stash my water bag/s there to keep weight as low and, centered as possible.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33456 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic SwordfishG1 access port
Brandon, do you not have enough room forward of the footplate to stash water bladder on the floor of the cockpit?  Not too hard to rig a bungee or other retention system so the bladder doesn't fall out in a capsize or whilst carrying the boat on your shoulder.  Then run the tubing between your heels, (may have to cut out an arch in the footplate if not already there?) and up to a clip on your shirt or a lanyard.

Or is that location not low/ central enough?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

• Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #33458 by 795511643882515@facebook
Replied by 795511643882515@facebook on topic SwordfishG1 access port
Thank you for your reply.
Well, yes. Have done that. But, do not like such a long line.  I do go swimming. Also, for two reasons, I would like the ability to carry at least a gallon of water. Even a little old man can go thru a lot of water paddling for several hours on a hot summer day. That creates a tall column, with a lot of leverage,  in the small space available.  Remember, I am only  150lbs/68k. (Blocks the view of my  phone running a navigation app too.)
Which leads to reason #2. I have no idea what it is like to paddle a ski that is not too big for me. I am curious how much different it would feel/handle if the boat were sitting on it's proper lines. Would be slower with the weight at first then, keep getting lighter as I get thirsty and, tired. That much weight most certainly needs to be as low and, centered as possible.
This is my second SF. Have owned /paddled all intermediate boat designs. SF is the lowest volume and, I can paddle it 30% faster than any other design ...in my ability(lack of) range.
I need a Spark!
Working towards that goal.
I hate cutting holes in any good boat. May not do it. But, for me, it is at least worthy of consideration.

Latest Forum Topics