Replacing the rudder on a Mako XT

• Rossb
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #32066 by Rossb
Replacing the rudder on a Mako XT was created by Rossb
I thought people might be interested in these videos.

Recently I was lucky enough to pick up a damaged Fenn M XT from my local club. Someone had hit a reef very hard, ripped out the bottom rudder block creating a severe leak and lost the rudder and rudder well panel. I make wooden surfskis and I thought instead of taking it to a shop who will charge more than the ski is worth, I can fix this myself. So I did....

Comments welcome.

Ross
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Replaced the shortened URLs with the long versions so that they work!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32069 by [email protected]
Awesome stuff Ross! What a job!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 9 months ago #32077 by waterbornewarrior
Cool project, and great craftsmanship! One word of caution: your aluminum tiller bar and stainless shaft and nuts will likely become one unit over time, even with diligent rinsing. Either find a machinist to make you one, or do so yourself. It appears that you have the tools to do so, it just takes a bit more "elbow grease."

Latest Forum Topics