New v10S

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #17292 by zachhandler
New v10S was created by zachhandler
Im very excited. Wonder what changes hace been made to the hull. All the changes above water look great. Link.

www.epickayaks.com/news/news/introducing-the-new-v10-sport

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by zachhandler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Webby
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #17294 by Webby
Replied by Webby on topic Re: New v10S
I agree! the new V10 sport looks great. I have thoroughly enjoyed my sport and was excited to hear that epic were bringing a new one out. Cant wait to try one.I also hear on the grab vine a new epic V10L this year. Looks like the bank account is going to get smashed.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Webby.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17299 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: New v10S
A practical approach to deciding if I would I personally upgrade from my current V10 Sport to the new one?

1) I think "faster" will be a relative term. There is only so much you can squeeze out of boats with similar dimensions and waterlines.

2) While the new bailer is nice, for me, the simple bung plug, attached to the ski by a bungee, works just fine. I would prefer that the new Sport had a water bottle holder like the one in the V8.

3) There is mention of some cut out for a "water system". I am assuming that may be a small notch in the bottom of the foot board to run a long hydration tube through. Again a nice feature, but meaningless to me... I prefer a water bottle.

4) As for the more robust pedal hinge setup. I already replaced the composite rod with a polished stainless steel unit and installed beefier rudder line, so I was ahead of the curve in that area.

5) The carry handle in the front and back don't help me out because I generally transport my ski to the water on my own.

So when I guess all of the new features are considered the only decision I could possibly arrive at is...

YES, of COURSE I would get rid of my current V10 Sport to buy the new boat.

I mean it's a newly designed %$#@*! boat. Why would anyone even ask such a stoopid question! :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: seamonkey, Fuyang Guy

More
10 years 9 months ago #17300 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re: New v10S
PF - the main advantage of handles for my uses would not be for carrying the boat but for safety. Great way to hang on to someone's boat, or as an attachment point to drag back a runaway ski.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
10 years 9 months ago #17301 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: New v10S
An absolutely excellent point ZH...(thumbs up)

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #17302 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New v10S
I just took delivery of a new V10 (not sport) and it is about 6-7lb heavier than my 2011 V10 Sport (both in performance layup). The new ones are heavier, I hear and mine comes a hair under the advertised 35lb, where the old one came at under 30lb.

I looked inside through the vent hole and I see the stiffeners are now about 1" thick (were cardboard thick on the old model). The seam tape is also almost 2" wide, where it was 1/2" on the old model. Not sure what other construction details add to the increased weight, but I assume the new construction is stronger... Don't know if the new V10 Sport has similar changes or not...
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Kocho.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17304 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Re: New v10S
I also have a new v10. It has the wider stringer as well. The store said the new boats have increased strengthening around the seat. They also weighed all six new v10s they had and all were heavy. They said all the new epics were up on weight.

My v10 is a very strong feeling boat and vey stiff. I actually believe the whole weight debate is actually more about the stiffness of carbon vs glass rather than a few kgs

More
10 years 9 months ago #17319 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Re: New v10S
What paddlers need to know is that ALL Epics have carbon in their hulls (including Club spec.) and flotation to stop sinking, all this adds weight but also increases strength.

Cant wait for mine to arrive, I loved my last one, fast and stable.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17320 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Re: New v10S
Thanks Ranga,

Why does carbon add to weight? Are you saying that epic has extra strengthening and flotation that is beyond what other major manufacturers use? If so what do they do that is extra.

Ive only just got my new v10. I haven't tested it but it feels very very strong.

• Jerry
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #17783 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Re: New v10S
Does anyone know when we could take delivery, east coast, US ?

• Jerry
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #17915 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Re: New v10S
Well, I guess I can answer my question....

My new V10 Sport ultra arrives early next week.

Can't wait to hit the water with it.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17918 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic New v10S

Can't wait to hit the water with it.

Be sure to post some feedback!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Jerry
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #17919 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic New v10S
Yes, I will.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17923 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic New v10S
and then there was twelve....that's quite a fleet Jerry ! :woohoo:

• Jerry
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #18004 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic New v10S
I had my new V10 Sport ultra out on the water yesterday, late evening.

Moderate conditions.

My first impressions, my opinion only:

Slightly more primary stability then past V10 S

Secondary stability the same, no change

Slightly faster on flat water, 1 minute in 10K.

Fact:

Bucket slightly longer

Bucket at thigh and butt area bigger

Hull at bow and stern less area/volume

Slightly flatter under paddler, hull area

Bow nose very plumb

What I like:

Cut outs in forward deck blade area are a big improvement, I hit the deck often in the older version.

Looks like a small scale V10 :)

Bailer

What I don't like:

Heavier, especially in bow, but.....will have to weigh both boats to confirm and I understand that weight is always a variable even in the same models.

Again, these are only my first impressions after 1 time and 9 miles on the water.

Perhaps others can offer their thoughts.

Jerry

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18254 by Shackleton
Replied by Shackleton on topic New v10S
I have an older V10S and have paddled the new V10S for about an hour. I also tried the regular V10 for about an hour. The new V10S is slightly faster and a lot more stable. To me it feels like an old V8, which I have. The old V10S rides a lot like the new V10 regular.

Having paddled the old style V10S all year and jumping into the new V10S it instantly felt rock steady. A definite difference. After paddling the old V10S all year I jumped right into a regular V10 and paddled it for an hour without any problem. It cruises about .25mph faster than old V10S. After being in both for a while and jumping into the new V10S it almost felt too stable.

If you mostly paddle flat water and have an old V10S you could probably move up to a new V10 regular. If you paddle rough conditions I think the new V10S would handle just about anything from flat to rough easily.

I am tempted to sell both my V8, which I use for rough conditions and my V10S that I use for flat and get the new V10S to use for both.

An Epic rep that allowed me to demo the boats basically said that the new V10S is more like the V8 and the new V10 is more like the old V10S.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Shackleton.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18255 by Shackleton
Jerry, You have a lot of boats. I don't feel so bad about the two that I have now. Lol.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18256 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic New v10S
Here is a brief video of the V10S on flat water so you can see how the boat floats a 190 pound paddler:

More
10 years 6 months ago #18257 by Shackleton
Jerry, how is the V12? I am mostly use to the V10S, I can get a descent deal on a V12 performace but I am unsure how it would do it rough stuff. Wind waves and boat waves.
Thanks

More
10 years 6 months ago #18259 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic New v10S

foundwood wrote: Here is a brief video of the V10S on flat water so you can see how the boat floats a 190 pounder...

Thanks for the video! It seems that the new V10 Sport, just like the new V10, seems to have less bow rocker and somehow the sharp lower end of the nose rides deep in the water. I am 185-190lb and I feel the nose on my V10 rides at least 1" too low from where I think it should be. Same for the end of the tail, by the way - I think it makes more little bubbles and noise than it should, being fat and deep.

I got to take a video from the side tomconfirm, but this is my feeling for now. My bow is catching leaves and small sticks and they don't come off when I try to shake them up or down, where they would come off from my old V10 Sport (2011 model). The new V10 is a bit less stable than the outgoing V10 Sport, I would think noticeably enough, that it is a step-up, right between it and the V12 in terms of stability. definitely has higher top speed even for my modest efforts than the outgoing V10 Sport. Have not paddled the new V10 Sport yet to compare...

Latest Forum Topics