Re: V10L Ultra vs Performance weight vs $

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #1049 by Alain Jaques
Re: V10L Ultra vs Performance weight vs $ was created by Alain Jaques
I'm sure when you really feel the difference is when the ski is out the water. Getting the ski on and off your car and into the water must be a breeze with a light ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #1050 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: V10L Ultra vs Performance weight vs $
Info about different coloured decks is straight from the Epic Website.
"The Ultra and Performance boats are easily distinguishable from one another. The Ultra boats are all white (both deck and hull) and have a red seam line. The Performance boats all come with white hulls, but have the option of a white, red or yellow deck, and will have a black seam line."
Never seen one, was excited about the posssibilty of seeing them. All white boats are boring.

You'd probably notice the weight difference carrying it to your car, but I wouldn't bragg about that if you got beat by someone on a glass rig. I still say spend some cash on stroke technique and coaching. That'll more than make up for 4 kg.

Sean

More
16 years 6 months ago #1051 by NigelWall
I don't think the weight makes much difference at my level (novice). Probaly easier to lose a few pounds off the middle! Whenever I pick up my Carbon/Kevlar Huki with one hand at the end of a long session, march down the beach, stick it on top the the 4*4, then I remember why it was such a good purchase!

I have a Garmin Geko, which is a great little GPS, cheap too! I use the bike mount to stick it on the footwell divider.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1052 by Trilobite
Fairly new to the surf skis, bu have a number of friends with the Ultras, and have owned standard fg vs. carbon models in other skis. If you're an elite racer for whom every ounce matters, then the Ultras are IMO the way to go, or if you really enjoy equipment and take care of it fastidiously, then it's Ultra. They are exceedingly fragile, and dent very easily. Everyone I know who owns them has dinged, punctured, damaged his in some way, so beware. Probably best as a race boat with a lighter weight fg layup as an everyday. My Huki, in carbon/'s' glass/kevlar is a really nice balance of light weight (27 lbs. w. hatch and adj. footwells) and durability. I take care of it, but I don't worry about it in the same way I would with an Ultra. I don't think I've ever paddled a boat that's more fun, also. ;)

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
16 years 6 months ago #1053 by yhomas
Note: Huki does make an all carbon boat if you ask for it. In fact, you can order any layup that you want from Huki, because each boat is custom made.

I own a carbon Mako 6. In a race, you definitely want the lighter weight (lighter is always going to be faster due to the laws of physics), but for training and every day use, I would rather have the glass version because I wouldn't worry about it so much.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1054 by Ritchie Cunningham
Good info here. Here's why I prefer and would only own an Ultra. Pick up each ski on a really windy day. The Ultra is noticeably more affected by the wind, and gets blown all over the place. As we generally hold the boat right at what would be the center of mass of a floating fully laden ski, this same effect carries over to the boats performance characteristics in the ocean. The stiffness and light weight of the Ultra makes it more responsive to instantaneous directional changes whether you use the rudder, a swell or whitecap, a gust of wind, or any combination of the above to move the bow to where you want to go.

• teresa
  • Visitor
16 years 2 months ago #1055 by teresa
Replied by teresa on topic Re: V10L Ultra vs Performance weight vs $

I am about to make the switch to an Epic V10L

Hard decisions now need to be made between the red Ultra or the black stripe Performance model.

Can anyone help me through this by comparing the two?

Is the extra $ worth the weight saving and extra stiffness? Is it about the stiffness?

I am not a professional paddler and have spent the last year doing K1 work on our local river + couple of marathon events. I paddle 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hrs on flat water and am keen to get out to the ocean a bit.

I have tested the V10L ultra for a few days recently and it was awesome, did some ocean stuff (a humpback came up to check out the new ski!) and put it on the river next to a K1 and it kept up.. soo versatile

I have n't tested the performance model and am curious if the $ savings are better spent on a GPS unit and new paddle and mayb a trip....

advice appreciated

Cheers

James

well it is all really interesting, i am a female paddler and i want stability and speed, so what do you suggest. i have been paddling for 3 years and my longest race 24kms ocean race. teresa

More
16 years 2 months ago #1056 by Rob F
An interesting topic and great reading everyones thoughts.

I have always had a simple theory on purchases such as this, whether to purchase the more expensive top of the line model or the cheaper...

If you can afford it, buy the top off the line. If you do reason yourself into the cheaper for whatever reason, you will always be in the situation, when you get beaten in a race, thinking.... If only I had spent the money.

I own a glass Mako 6 and am very much a novice and love my ski and even when being beaten, love paddling. I also bought a forerunner 201 and think it is one of the best training aids I could have invested in.

It is up to you. But will you be on the beach oneday thinking if only....

Happy paddling whateveer your choice.

Latest Forum Topics