V12 g1 vs g2

More
6 years 1 week ago #32451 by mickeyA
V12 g1 vs g2 was created by mickeyA
What is main difference in g1 and g2 V12? Sometimes the new boat is widely thought to be superior (g2 V10 vs g1 V10), while sometimes folks seem to prefer the older model--or newer model is not much of an improvement. Where does V12 fit? Differences, pros, cons? fwiw, thinking black tip, 95kg/210 lb. paddler. Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago #32476 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic V12 g1 vs g2
Has anyone paddled an old V12 and a new V12?

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
6 years 1 week ago #32477 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 g1 vs g2
I have owned G1 in black and red nose layup and G2 in red nose layup. I paddled the G2 for a summer then sold it and went back to the G1.

They are both excellent boats, but they are completely different from each other. G1 is a low rocker boat. it has a prominent flare in the bow above the waterline, that to most people's eyes looks funny or ugly. What that flared bow does is add an amazing amount of secondary stability for a boat that is so fast. With the low rocker the G1 is slightly faster on the flat than G2 (not a meaningful amount of difference for most of us). It is also (in my experience) much more stable in confused chop. This is because of the low rocker as well as the flare. In confused chop the G1 almost becomes more stable that it is on the flat because the immense secondary stability is being engaged as the wave peaks hit the sides of the hull. As expected, the low rocker the G1 is not as playful downwind as the high rocker G2. Another common critique of the G1 is that in smaller steep waves, the flared bow provides some resistance to powering through the wave ahead of you. As conditions get bigger and the waves spread out, this becomes a non-issue.

G2 is a complete redesign. it is a high rocker boat meant for downwind. the nose is lower volume and the flared bow is gone. On the flat it is a hair slower than G1. Downwind it is a better ski than G1. The rocker allows it to turn quickly and steer with hip lean more like a fenn or huki. In confused chop it is (in my experience) significantly less stable than the G1, and this is what you would expect based on the increased rocker and the reduced bow flare. Remember the G1 bow flare was not put there to look ugly; it was put there to give immense secondary stability, and it really works.

If most of my paddling was in clean downwind conditions I would have kept the G2. But most of my paddling is flat water or chaotic chop. In the chop I can follow any wave I want in the G1. In the G2 I am too distracted by balance issues to follow the line. So I sold the G2 and upgraded to a red nose G1.

As far as the buckets, the G1 has the traditional high platform epic bucket where you sit ontop of the ski with excellent ergonomics. The G2 has a deep high walled bucket that feels more like a fenn. Ergonomics are still excellent. A lot of people say the G2 is the most comfortable ski they have ever been in. For me the G1 bucket feels more comfortable. in the G2 I felt like my pelvis was tipped back more, and it was harder to get over the stroke. But I have a funny butt and stiff hamstrings, and as I said, the vast majority of people love the G2 bucket.

Bottom line, these are both great boats, but they have different strengths and weaknesses.

Current Skis: Nelo Vanquish AIR, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic v10g3, Kai Waa Vega, Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 6 days ago #32493 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic V12 g1 vs g2
Thanks for the great insight Zach. Since I was mainly looking for flattish water paddling, I went with the g1 v12. Just bought it, have paddled it once and I love it. I just wanted to make sure there was not a dramatic, obvious upgrade that essentially made the old model obsolete in virtually all areas. I think the g1 is the better boat for what I need it for. Sounds like g2 is better for other purposes. Thanks.

More
6 years 6 days ago #32494 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 g1 vs g2
I bet you saved yourself a lot of money too!

Current Skis: Nelo Vanquish AIR, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic v10g3, Kai Waa Vega, Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 6 days ago #32495 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic V12 g1 vs g2
All my skis are G1s and don't think I enjoy paddling any less because of it. Maybe, someday I'll upgrade. Would be nice, but, content for now.