Are These Cracks a Problem

More
7 years 7 months ago #27024 by drjay9051
Yesterday I did a complete detailing of my skis. : clean,wax etc.

I noticed some small areas of spider web cracks in both skis. on the Epic ultra layup they are located at the top of the bucket towards the rear. on the Stellar in sport layup they are located just below the seam at the gunwale.

These cracks are quite small but if i run a fingernail over them there is clearly a defect.

Are these types of cracks (crazing) normal?

Since they are only located in small areas near the bucket i am thinking they are due to flexing. Need they be repaired? If i leave them alone do i risk water intrusion? If repair is needed do i need a professional?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #27033 by Flowmaster
Hard to tell just from the pictures but they look like cracks in the cel coat . In that case there's no structural damage, however some little drops might come in, wich is not a bad thing either.
If you press it with your tumb and you can feel it denting , the damage could be more serious ....but repairible.
Is this is the case, some sanding has to be done and some glassing after that, than some more sanding spraying etc. It's all not that hard to do, there's a lot of info on that when you Google so no worries.

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Flowmaster.

More
7 years 7 months ago #27071 by Simon Haywood
drjay...I'd get them fixed

Have either skis been dropped or had an impact? - I've had a delamination appear weeks after an impact. It's odd for either ski to just crack without an event.

It's hard to tell from your photos just how bad they really are...the gelcoat will flex at a different rate to the substrate structure of the hull...It might just be that. However once the gelcoat is removed you'll be able to see - it might be a fracture/movement in the laminate under the gelcoat in which case you'll need to fix for longevity of the ski...IMHO - It's a job for someone that knows what they are doing.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 7 months ago #27072 by drjay9051
Simon:

No impact on the Epic (white ski). Bought new and transported in V rack with bungees. No undue stress. Now in the Stellar in the heavy layup I cannot say for sure .I purchased as a demo but did not see any issues when I inspected it. Transported in a similar fashion. Heavier sport layup so I would think harder to damage aside from gelcoat?

No flex in the Epic but if I push firmly on the crack in the Stellar I get a bit of flex. Not sure if this is what I see referred to as "soft spots"

maybe normal flex? i'll press on other side at gunwale and see if I have similar flexing of hull.

More
7 years 7 months ago #27077 by Simon Haywood
drjay, The yellow ski Stellar (sport - should be solid as a rock) almost bullet proof very little to go wrong. The Epic shouldn't crack like that - I'd take it to an expert repairer and get a profesional opinion.
Delamination in the Epic ultra layup looks very different to that - you can do a two finger tap along the hull - if you have a delamination it's very obvious in the sound that it makes...

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 7 months ago #27078 by drjay9051
Will do. Thanks for the advice

More
7 years 7 months ago #27079 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Are These Cracks a Problem
If you are in salt water env. you likely will notice a small accumulation of mineral (white powdery ) exuding around the cracks if they are indeed leaking. If not , more likely they are just gel coat spiders , Obviously if you are accumulating water inside the hull after paddling....

Latest Forum Topics