Colour matching a Fenn elite

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25567 by Dicko
I have a few small chips to fix on my elite. I have patched the chips and just want to give it a spray with a lacquer spray for cosmetic reasons. Has anyone colour matched the gel coat before and any clue as to the closest white in the holts duplicolour range. ( the only lacquer spray I have access too)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Dicko. Reason: Spell corrector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25568 by Simon Haywood
Dicko, I've done several using the Mipa Brand (German) it's a 2 pack spray system...I used the local agent for Mipa (he's an ex spray painter - APC - Collier Road, Bayswater WA...The guy lives in Mandurah. If you can find an older spray painter they should still be able to do it - it's a dying art.
Start by cleaning and polishing back to original the area - my guy uses a colour swatch card to get it close (there is hundreds of shades of white) he then adds droplets of various tints to get it exact.
I put Andersen bailer in a Stellar SE and painted around the area about a metre either side of it - you can't see the join...It was an exact match.
It's almost impossible with gelcoat - even if you have the same batch...When you add catalyst and/or styrene (so you can sand/polish) it changes the colour ever so slightly...and in time will show more so.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Simon Haywood.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25576 by Skiwalker
Dicko

I'm not an authority on the subject of ski repair but this may be of some help...

I also did a small repair on my Fenn recently and was faced with the same colour matching issue. After experimenting a bit I opted to use a water based polyurethane by Aquacote made specifically for marine applications. boatcraft.com.au .colour "white"
I didn't spray it as it was a small repair. First used their undercoat to build it up before painting on the top coat and sanding down. Its a similar hardness to gelcoat so it sands evenly and seems to bond well. And the colour is a very close match - sheer coincidence (the ski is a 2013 model). I tend to be a bit anal sometimes but I recon its close enough though not perfect . See photos. I will touch it up again as i sanded though to the undercoat slightly. The paint is also sold in small test bottles. I don't use this ski much anymore so the repair hasn't been exposed to the elements but it looks as though it will hold up.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Skiwalker.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25577 by Flowmaster
With my sup I went to a car repair and spray shop, they had some sort of a lamp scanner , which scans the right collar no matter how old beat up and affected by UV, after scanning they made a rattle can for me with the exact collar of my board.

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 2 months ago #25596 by Simon Haywood
My ski was hit by another on the beach and holed (luckily after the paddle which the wind reached 40knots! - 31/1/16(last Sunday). A quick repair over three days.
Stellar - excel construction (kevlar/honeycomb). repaired on the outside using carbon woven rovings, filled with epoxy/q-cells and brush painted gelcoat (made this using standard white gelcoat and a drop of black gelcoat and styrene wax) over the top...this will do till the end of season and I'll fix it to flawless then.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25601 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Colour matching a Fenn elite
Thanks gents, but I've just got some Holts Dupliclour DSD25 in a little spray can. Seems pretty close. Will do for now anyway. Take this information as you will, remembering that patience and perfectionism are not traits that I possess.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Dicko.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25604 by Skiwalker
Good luck. Hope in turns out well Dicko.

I'm also still curious as to where one can get some Fenn gelcoat/ flowcoat... anybody? Even if we knew the product used wouldn't be great if the agents sold small touch up bottles as small bumps and knocks are always going to happen from time to time.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...

Latest Forum Topics