Old V10 Elite stability question VRS K1 kayaks

More
9 years 6 months ago #21741 by Coast Steve
Hi guys,

I have an older Epic V10 Elite and it's a tippy boat compared to my buddies new V10 Ultra

I find his a much more stable boat.

My question is:

what is my boats stability #?
I would like to get a K1 flatwater boat but don't want one I can't paddle.

Thanks,
Steve

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21749 by AR_convert
In my experience the top level kayaks being a rating 1 I have yet to paddle a ski that is as tippy as the top K1's so I would rate the most tippy ski I have paddled at a 2. If you are looking at K1's ask if they have a masters model, they are generally the same shape just incrementally more stable. Unfortunately what I found when starting out in K1's was most of the cheap 2nd hand ones were top level K1's (like the Cleaver) that get bought, the paddler figures out they cant paddle it and it gets sold on).

Modern K1's now have a lot more intermediate models (also know as masters models).

It would help to know what you have access to where you are then those who are familiar with the boats could give you an idea on how they compare stability wise. I could list off some models that I know but unless you can get hold of them where you are thats pretty useless.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #21762 by Coast Steve
Well that's just what I did, I bought a #2 K1 and had to sell it.

I guess I need to try a bunch at a club.
I need one a little more stable than my Elite V10.
A new V10 is much easier for me to paddle than my older one.

So a K1 with the same stability as a new V10 is perfect...if there is one.

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21765 by Madpaddler75
I have been paddling the Kynsna kayaks built Jacana which has good stability. I normally paddle an Evo 2 for ocean and wanted something with a little less stability but a boat that still enables me to put the power down.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Madpaddler75.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21766 by Coast Steve
But I still need to know the stability # of my old V10 Elite.

If I were to guess I would say a 3

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)

More
9 years 6 months ago #21771 by AR_convert

Coast Steve wrote: But I still need to know the stability # of my old V10 Elite.

If I were to guess I would say a 3

Yep, between a 2 and 3.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21772 by AR_convert

Madpaddler75 wrote: I have been paddling the Kynsna kayaks built Jacana which has good stability. I normally paddle an Evo 2 for ocean and wanted something with a little less stability but a boat that still enables me to put the power down.

Yep, something like the Jacana is ideal, has good speed too.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21774 by Watto
I paddle a Stellar SES. If that's a 2 in relative stability, the K1 my mate was paddling in (sitting mid-water chatting, no bracing) was a 0.007. Holy crap that boat was unstable!

I managed a half dozen strokes before I swam. It's what you're used to of course, and he'd done a whole lot of paddling in what was an elite K1, nonetheless to enter that game I reckon you need to be coming in at the V6/V8 level equivalent. Don't bullshit yourself, just get comfortable and paddle. Also flat river/lake water sometimes not so flat.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21775 by AR_convert
The seat in a K1 can make a big difference. Most sprint seats have various settings and some K1's (the South African ones at least)have the option of river seats which "cup" your backside like a ski bucket and sit you low in the boat for better stability.

You will know a sprint seat as it generally looks like more of a platform so there is no restriction to your rotation.

I have paddled a Vajda Infusion with a high sprint seat and a pull bar and wondered how anyone would paddle it in a marathon. I have since paddled one with a lower seat and footstraps and felt really comfortable, so boat setup in a K1 can make the difference.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21780 by Coast Steve

I really prefer the higher seating of my old K1 compared to the feet up feeling of a ski.

I added foam under the ass but it becomes deadly tippy pretty fast.

Most K1's I see are a #1 or 2.
I'll look for a 3 or even a 4 (kind of rare though.

I will need to sell this first though, (just put it on Craigslist Vancouver.)

Here's my old K1 #2 I think it was (the Orca model)

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Coast Steve.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21790 by mortenlinding
Hi
Nelo has some fast touring K1 with stability level 3 and 4. They are called Viper 51 and 55. They are not as fast as racing K1´s. But they are still fast boats.

Current ski: Carbonology Vault Hybrid 1. Gen / Nordic kayaks Storm / SS2 Carbonology Zest

More
9 years 6 months ago #21792 by Coast Steve
Touring eh?...sounds very ....sea kayak and pack a lunch like.

But are they faster than my V10 Elite.? that's the question.

Ideally I need faster but not tippyer than mine.

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)

More
9 years 6 months ago #21794 by JohnK
Hi there,

You may find something to your liking i the Mohican. Check our Wesley's surfski chart at surfskiracing.org.

Similar stability to a V10 but faster on the flat. Not for ocean use I believe.

Cheers

More
9 years 6 months ago #21796 by mortenlinding
Hi
I don´t think that they will be as fast as a V10. They are not sea kayaks. Here in Denmark and Scandinavian we have races for this class.
I don´t think you will find K1 boats as fast as V10 with a stability level of 4.

Current ski: Carbonology Vault Hybrid 1. Gen / Nordic kayaks Storm / SS2 Carbonology Zest

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21800 by AR_convert
No a K1 with a stability rating of 3 or more wont go as fast as a elite ski. A level 2 K1 might be neck and neck and a Level 1 will be faster if the paddler can harness it's speed.

Given that a K1 is much shorter than a ski, width plays a big part in speed and stability.

Most paddlers will be able to go faster in a ski up to a point due to that stability afforded by the width and length.

I have found that for me I can push a K1 slightly faster than a ski over marathon distances but at a big decrease in stability.

In short, most ski paddlers have to take a drop in speed in their stride to move to K1's. Persevere and eventually you will be able to go faster paddling tippier K1's. There is no shortcut to going fast in a K1.

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21805 by Coast Steve
Well, lots to think about then.

Thanks guys.

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21809 by AR_convert
Hope I haven't turned you off :huh:

It is well worth learning to paddle a K1 well, will do wonders for your ski paddling. Once you have mastered a K1 a ski feels like a pontoon to sit in :P

And when the weather turns chilly, a K1 is sooo much more comfy! No frozen knees and feet.

Racing a K1 in a bunch on flat water is also a buzz, the shorter length, the wash riding ability and the superior acceleration make for spirited competition.

I paddle about 50/50 ski and K1 and find the K1 is also kinder on my stiff lower back and hammy's than when I was just a ski paddler.

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21810 by Coast Steve
No Brett, not at all.
I would love to find a K1 I can deal with.

And think I will prefer paddling one when I get it to a decent ability.

Steve

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)

More
9 years 6 months ago #21822 by Dparkinson
You should check out the kirton tor. I think the tor is a little less stable then the old v10. I feel like the acceleration in the tor is better then the v10. I have only paddled the tor a couple of times, so It could just be in my head.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21831 by lillelok
There's a great Danish site with a stability categorization of K1s. It's in Danish, but the catagorization is pretty self-explaining: www.kajakinfo.dk/Overblik-over-100-kapka...es-sv%c3%a6rhedsgrad.

My experience with surfskis and K1s is that high performance surfskis generally are a lot more stable than K1s. I paddle a Carbonology Atom, which is among the tippiest surfskis, but way more stable than a racing K1 like e.g. the Zedtech Carrera (rated 3 on a 1-10 stability scale). I used to own the old V10L which I would compare to a touring racing kayak like the Viper 51 or Citius 51, in stability.

Stable and relatively fast entry level K1s, a bit tippier than the V10 though, would for instance be the Nelo Classic or the Citius 44.

Latest Forum Topics