avon descent

More
10 years 7 months ago #17953 by boss
avon descent was created by boss
anybody got advice on websites were to by secondhand craft(paddling) for the avon descent in WA ?

THXS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17954 by Dicko
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebigadski

More
10 years 7 months ago #17958 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic avon descent
Gumtree is pretty popular these days too.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17959 by Goldcoastkiwi
Replied by Goldcoastkiwi on topic avon descent
I've always found the greatest range of gear is on geartrade.com.au ,and its easy to navigate and is catergorised, which i find saves a lot of needless searching

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid

More
10 years 7 months ago #17964 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic avon descent
Boss, I'm selling my 3 week old PRS Elite (light weight) - only did the last leg on flat water and still in excellent condition (with no scratches)
Did the Avon in a team of 4 - so used other skis in the rocks!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
10 years 7 months ago #17967 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic avon descent
Simon are you still paddling from the Narrows? Boss as new WA arrival might be interested too.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17969 by Simon Haywood
In a word - Yes...Now that the Avon is over - it will be totally weather dependent.

Usually try get out 3-4 times a week - more if there is a race coming up.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
10 years 7 months ago #17970 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic avon descent
I find gumtree easier to use than all the other sites/pages.

I have a Spirit PRS and a Cleaver Maxi K1 on there at the moment.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #17971 by Spudnut72
Replied by Spudnut72 on topic avon descent
Brett,

Out of interest, how much are the PRS skis going for in WA. I am in Brisbane and about to list one for sale to upgrade to a glass ski. Limited sales history over this way so need a rough guide as to what I should be asking.

Thanks, Nathan

More
10 years 7 months ago #17974 by AR_convert

Spudnut72 wrote: Brett,

Out of interest, how much are the PRS skis going for in WA.

A dual rudder PRS in good condition (not been down the river) can fetch $1300, while a well used one can go as low as $700.

For others reading this....
There's not too much that can wrong with them, really just need to check that they don't take on water through a damaged Venturi into the hull or that any hull scrapes aren't too deep. Just take it for a paddle for a while then check for water in the hull.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17975 by Spudnut72
Replied by Spudnut72 on topic avon descent
Brett,

Thanks for that. Very rare to see them on the market. Now I have something to work with. I saw you were involved in a thread a while back on the Sth African made Stealth Strika. Have you or anybody else had the chance to paddle one. I was looking at a Think Evo II or Stellar SEI, but saw a Strika yesterday. Interested in feedback as they look good value for money and I may be restricted on length to under 6.2 mtr for storage.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17976 by AR_convert
And for anyone wondering what the Avon descent is check out this You Tube video produced by a local paddler and his friends.

This year the paddlers decided that the TV network that has the broadcast rights tends to leave a lot of the paddling side of the race out (The race also has powerboats competing). So the paddlers have taken the matter into thier own hands and a small army of us have collected video and helmet cam footage to be edited into a paddlers video. When it is released I will share it here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
10 years 7 months ago #17977 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic avon descent
Fantastic vid, really professional and as you say Brett local coverage often doesn't do paddlers justice. Though certain to be action coming up for Day 2, some mayhem of ti trees footage end of Day 1 needed to show first day can still be a killer. Brilliantly filmed to capture the ambiance of that early morning start. Shot of this year capturing same feeling attached.
Attachments:

More
10 years 7 months ago #17978 by Perth ski chick
Replied by Perth ski chick on topic avon descent
"I'm selling my 3 week old PRS Elite (light weight) - only did the last leg on flat water"

Avon rules state:
134 ONLY ONE craft per competitor, this applies to all paddle competitors.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17979 by Simon Haywood
Perth Ski Chick

Team of 4 - each competitor is allowed a craft - we used 4 craft.

If you had an ounce of integrity:
1. You'd apologise
2. Come out from behind your handle!

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
10 years 7 months ago #17981 by Perth ski chick
Apologise for what? Rule 134 states ONLY ONE craft per competitor. Not four craft per team. If any team member paddled different boats on day one and day two, they're in violation of the rule.

More
10 years 7 months ago #17982 by Simon Haywood
Di,

Paddled a PRS(craft) day 1 & Day 2...So not in breach of the rules at all.

Not the first time you got something wrong and couldn't apologise...hey!

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
10 years 7 months ago #17996 by Perth ski chick
If the rule said 'only one type of craft per competitor', I'd agree with you. But it doesn't say that.

There was a high profile DQ of one of the sponsored paddlers a few years back because he paddled a different boat each day.

Happy to clarify this - I'll put it up on Rather Be Paddling and see what consensus is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fearless

More
10 years 7 months ago #17999 by Simon Haywood
Well the consensus(trial by public opinion) would appear to be overwhelmingly in my favour. And if I got it wrong, nearly all the respondents did too. So, if you're right - there ought to be lots of DSQ going around the teams - not sure that will help your popularity in the Perth scene Di.
www.facebook.com/groups/168812446583171/

So Perth Ski Chick - AKA - Di Arnott. Forums have no Parliamentary priveledge - you and you alone are responsible for what you write/say - the same goes for me of course...And in honour of RAB you've been outed.
FWIW circa 50 - is hardly a chick too!

What was I guilty of on this forum?
1. A new guy to Perth(Boss) via this forum - in respone to his post - I let him know I had a virtually brand new boat for sale - suitable for the Avon Descent.
2. in the Avon Descent we paddled as a team (4man) - I paddled my leg day 1 on a std PRS(tad over 24kg) lent to our team by one of the sponsors(thank you James Payne / Go Paddle) and on day 2, I paddled my PRS Elite(a tad under 22kg - same shape) this boat was and still is in brand new condition(and is for sale!)...Not sure there was any real advantage other than my seat suited my fat ___ better! At 110kg and over 50 I was in the Avon Descent to 'Act Belong & Commit' to have fun with a great group guys & gals. Sorry I committed such a heinous act of changing from one PRS to another - If the race committee feel I'm in breach of the rule I suppose they will disqualify us - but it would appear they maybe doing a fair few others too! Our team entered 4 boats and we used all 4 boats (I paddled two of them).

FYI - A PRS (by Spirit) is LDPE(plastic) moulded(by heat) surf ski 5.7m Designed by James Payne...A great boat for the Avon Descent.

For all support offered by my friends - Thank you for contacting me - very much appreciated.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
10 years 7 months ago #18001 by he82342
Replied by he82342 on topic avon descent
This forum is rapidly deteriorating into personal insults and trolling - maybe it's time the moderator intervened ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fearless

Latest Forum Topics