Western Australia paddling

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17595 by boss
Are there any group training sessions/clubs that train in WA. I hope to be moving to perth very soon and would like to get involved in the local paddling ocean/flat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17605 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Western Australia paddling
Will do you up a list tomorrow boss, busy atm. Plenty of groups around, paddling paradise mate.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17616 by AR_convert
Probably easier to let us know where you move to, that will determine which sessions are closest to you.

There are quite a few clusters of paddlers around depending on your fitness level and what you are more keen on (marathon or ocean). Quite a few guys cross over between marathon and ocean in racing but tend to train either with an ocean based or river based group.

Our Rockingham group tends to be a 50/50 bunch given that we train in the ocean during the week, but in protected waters so we don't get swell.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17617 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Western Australia paddling
Looking to live around cottosloe area or maybe a bit north of there.It really depends of which school I can get my daughter into and also which surf club we join.

I Generally paddle in the lake during the week because it is dark and ocean on the weekends. Up for anything really, just dropped back to swordfish from fenn elite. Much more enjoyable for me anyway.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17638 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Western Australia paddling
Unsure of your paddling background or what kind of paddling you're up for however Cott a great spot to be based, up or down the coast from there whatever.

As far as surf clubs go (I'm sure you've googled these) a heap to chose from over a pretty small distance - nine clubs off the top of my head over thirty k's of coast Port Beach to Mullaloo, each with it's own dedicated group of paddlers. Whatever club you become involved with will have guys interested in downwind or some form of racing other than around the cans.

Paddling clubs aplenty, best bet for open water stuff Indian Ocean Paddlers (www.iop.canoe.org.au/), through to kayak/canoe river clubs which have an abundance of ski paddlers -Ascot Kayak Club (www.ascot.canoe.org.au/) and Swan Canoe club (5-10 minutes from Cottesloe Beach on the river www.swan.canoe.org.au/). Plenty of guys paddling skis in these clubs also plenty of racing both river and ocean. From these clubs there are a few paddling groups and times. See also www.wa.canoe.org.au/.

As for random groups, Narrows Bridge Perth early morning or evenings various days, East Perth Power station (close to town) same, plus University of WA Nedlands (UWA boatshed) certain days and more. Best to just call or text when you get here 0420 998 166 - John Watson and take it from there. Bunch of mates and I mix it up all the time always keen for adventure - will show you Swan River river from Fremantle to Upper Swan (from Northam to Freo bit shy of 200 ks if you're into white water) or anything ocean from Mandurah (the Cut Run which pissweak me has yet to get off my backside and do) through to Mindarie Marina (along 100 plus ks of coast) plus Rottnest Island to Perth (The Doctor) paddle - gawd the list goes on.

I live in Marmion 5 minutes from Hillarys Marina which is a great launch in any weather and also a where plenty of people paddle from for a good part of the year Marina a great protected place to paddle even when it's 40 knot stormy.

Mate you'll love it - paddling with dolphins all parts of the ocean, in the river at Fremantle and all the way through to Perth city with resident pods. All the salt water crocodiles gone now, eaten by the white pointers.. oops lol.

Cheers boss, hope the above helps some.