Forward stroke comments

More
10 years 10 months ago #17112 by kayakchampeen
hafta give Watto props on the Brabants Vid. What struck me as astonishing is how laminar his catch is. I mean he uses a B1 and has his stroke dialed, but THERE IS ONLY IMPERCEPTIBLE SPLASH AT THE CATCH. wow! to be imparting that much power to the boat, keep the boat running well, and than have no appreciable splash at the catch is insane!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17121 by LaPerouseBay
Yes kc, the oscar vid is a perfect example of a true expert waiting, waiting, waiting for the ocean to do the work. It simply cannot be understated how important it is to be patient and relaxed, keeping the nose going downhill.

We have some world class oc-1's here on Maui. It's quite a treat to watch them calmly glide past us mid packers. Those guys are wizards. They can throw down some massive power when necessary, but in all honesty, I've NEVER seen them struggle. They just don't miss glides. Mile after mile after mile, every glide they want is theirs. Mind boggling average speeds.

Zsolt and Pat Dolan are over on Oahu, so I never get to see them. If I had the dough I'd fly over and get some lessons from the Z man. He's a gifted coach. He came over and did a clinic about a year and a half ago. Good stuff.

Internet chatter and vids have helped me a ton. But one on one coaching from a real expert is a quantum leap. Nothing compares.

What I like about the Brabants video is how his top hand drives the blade down into the water. And when you stop action just as the blade is buried you can see how his leg is still fully wound up, ready to unleash the big twist. Amazing timing. Incredible balance.

downwind dilettante

More
10 years 10 months ago #17125 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Forward stroke comments

kayakchampeen wrote: hafta give Watto props on the Brabants Vid. What struck me as astonishing is how laminar his catch is. I mean he uses a B1 and has his stroke dialed, but THERE IS ONLY IMPERCEPTIBLE SPLASH AT THE CATCH. wow! to be imparting that much power to the boat, keep the boat running well, and than have no appreciable splash at the catch is insane!

From memory, Tim uses a Braca II.

What a beast. His win at the 08 Games was simply awesome. Start to finish domination.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17127 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Forward stroke comments
I'm not sure how guys can suggest rotation and leg drive aren't needed on a surf ski.

Here's Sean Rice paddling a while back, his leg drive is extremely strong, combined with his rotation.

I'm also surprised that guys can pick faults in Zolt's technique video. The guy is a fantastic paddler and awesome technician.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bunney

More
10 years 10 months ago #17129 by zachhandler
Rice has so much power in his stroke

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics