Launching in Shore Break

More
11 years 7 months ago #13174 by ElRicho
Just after any tips for launching in a Shore break. I have seen the topic on launching in surf but none mention about the classic shore break/dump. Rob if you've got any vids or any other knowledge from the pros, let us know. Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13176 by Warwick
Yes Please! I too would love some tips on how to handle a gnarly shorebreak, I have seen a few boats get broken on a dumping shorebreak and am not in a hurry to join that statistic. I bought my beloved ski recently, and admittedly stay away from the sea when the shorebreak is a bit testy as an injury to my ski is an injury to my soul. I know I have to man up and go for it, but some tips on how to do so would be greatly appreciated!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #13178 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Re: Launching in Shore Break
Initial advice - wait.

Survey the waves, count how many between each set.

Note where the impact zone ends closest to the beach, sit in your boat at that point, wait for the set to finish and GO GO GO!

Having been beaten up so badly, the best thing I learned that day was Wait. And Look. BEFORE going.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13182 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re: Launching in Shore Break
Stand as close to the edge of the sea as you can without getting your legs taken out by the shorebreak. Hold your ski under your arm, using your opposite arm to stablise the ski and hold your paddle.

If you have the luxury of waiting then look for a nice gap, but this isn't possible if you're racing.

Either way, wait for the wave to break in front of you, then drop your ski onto the back of the wave as it washes up the beach past you. You should be standing deep enough to allow your ski to float when you put it in the water: depending on the power of the shorebreak the water will usually be somewhere between knee and waist deep.

Now comes the critical part: you have to get in your ski QUICKLY and start paddling before the wave washes back down the beach, otherwise your rudder will snag on the beach and you'll be left high and dry at the mercy of the next wave.

Practice mounting your ski quickly (in safe conditions) and start paddling even before you get your feet in the footstraps : timing and a fast launch is what its all about!

More
11 years 7 months ago #13183 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Re: Launching in Shore Break
Doh! Shorebreak... yes Nige's answer is MUCH better than mine.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13185 by Rightarmbad
Survey the beach and find the rips.
Often the deeper channel there will have a friendlier break as well as give you a quick ride out.

Sand moves out to sea at a rip, so look for where the water comes closest to the shore to find the rips.

If there is a double bar system like forms here on the Gold Coast, some inner rips will be better than others as they may take you all the way outside the outer bar as well.

Look for rips along groins and natural boundaries.
May seem scarier to head out right near the rocks, but is usually safer and these usually go all the way out and not just be a shorter inner rip that empties into the gap between the inner and outer bar.

Around here, sets are usually 5 to 7 waves long with a decent gap, so the advice to wait and watch and get a feel for it is a good one.

Learn how to jump start!

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 7 months ago #13196 by DougMar
Jump ons: Take a look at Jim Walker's demo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod Thomas

More
11 years 7 months ago #13199 by ElRicho
Thanks for the advice Nige. I guess its just practice about getting on a going quickly. The place I've moved to has a mean shore break. The beach is 'pea' gravel that your feet sink in and slopes down steeply and drops off on the edge so your launching area is small. Joy!!!! Good thing I have a strong ski! Still if you get it right within 6 strokes you will be in the clear. :woohoo:

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #13325 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Re: Launching in Shore Break
He makes it look so easy... but its really difficult!

Latest Forum Topics