Fragility of Epic ultra layup

More
11 years 7 months ago #12571 by Midlifecrisis
After posting that I not had any issues with my V10 sport ultra, I now have to report that it is back with the dealer.

After hearing all of the other comments I had a very close look at my ski and found a couple of very small issues. A soft spot at the back of the seat, and a hairline crack in the gel coat on the hull. Neither seemed to be a huge problem, but I have taken it straight back to the dealer. They are sending it of to be repaired. No hassle from the dealer and they are treating them as warranty repairs.

I haven't noticed these issues before and I wash it down after each use, but I guess I was being a lot more critical this time.

Hopefully the repairs are to a very high standard as I will be looking to trade it soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12578 by Rightarmbad
No such thing as an invisible repair.
So, it will, reduce your resale value.

Sad but true.

Just like impossible to match metallic paint on cars.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 7 months ago #12589 by drjay9051

Midlifecrisis wrote: After posting that I not had any issues with my V10 sport ultra, I now have to report that it is back with the dealer.

Midlife;

Just purchased an Epic V10 Sport ultra. Ski looks fine.
Just wondering; how did you find "soft spot"? Is it a matter of pressing every inch of the boat or is something in the outward appearance that gave it away.?

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #12590 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic Re: Fragility of Epic ultra layup
soft spots are detected by lightly pressing with the palm of your hands all over the hull, you will feel it and usually hairline fractures occur around softspots. They are predominantly caused by a sharp knock, tying the ski too tightly on the roofrack, delamination of composite material. usually they occur where you apply a lot of pressure often, eg where you carry the ski on your hip to and from the car to the launch spot.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12592 by Midlifecrisis
The was a fine crack in the gelcoat. It was around 2cm across. It is possible that it has been there for a while as I normally wouldn't have been looking closely for any damage there. When I wash the ski down I normally check it out for marks etc. I was always intending to upgrade so I have been trying to take a lot of care with it.

It will be interesting to see how invisible the repairs are. I probably could have left them as they really aren't that bad, but better to be safe than sorry.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12595 by AR_convert

Rightarmbad wrote: No such thing as an invisible repair.
So, it will, reduce your resale value.

Sad but true.

Just like impossible to match metallic paint on cars.

You've obviously never seen a good repair.

I should have taken before and after photos of my then 2 week old V10L when it was t-boned in the surf by another ski and a 4 inch section of the glass deck and hull was torn/punctured. We are blessed to have one of the Epic family here in Perth (Walter C) and with his access to epic products and craftsmanship the repair was invisible. I told the guy I sold it too 9 months later about it (as you couldn't see it) and he was happy as he knew Walter and the standard of his repairs.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #12597 by Rightarmbad
Wonder if I can ship my boat over there.

Maybe I should ship me over there, seems to be heaps of ultra V12 on geartrade over that way.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics