newbie + surfski ........ clueless

More
13 years 3 months ago #6189 by smerds
Hi guys,

My first post on the forum so will appreciate your knowledge and help. You might think it is obvious for everyone paddling but I’m pretty sure it is news to me ……

I’m keen to get into surf ski or should I say I’m keen to stay on top of a surf ski ……….

I have almost complete my 5 lesson introduction course from Dawid in Fishhoek and now looking to get my own boat to get more confidence paddling and then to take it to the next level.

So the big question what boat should it get …… I have used the horizon at the surf ski school and even at the max setting I still feel that my legs are too “upright”. I had the same experience when trying a honcho Guevara and the seat is also quite narrow. I’m only 1.91m tall but seems like my legs are most of that, hence I struggle to get a comfortable fit.

So what are my options and do I have to order a custom made boat …. seems a little extreme since I have seen paddlers taller than me with “ordinary” boats.

Your advise will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6191 by Hiro
I'm 1,85m and when paddling my XP, there's enough room left to set the footplate 3 inches further... Try one.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6192 by Dicko
I'm a similar size and the boats I've tried that fit without some major work are the red7's, Think and apparently the carbonology vault which has borrowed the cockpit from the red7pro. Epic's are too short. Fenn xt can be fiddled with but the foot plates have to be removed and the pedals screwed to the bulkhead. Stellar se has the cockpit length but the rails for the footplate would need to be relocated forward, so it may be an option. Hope that helps.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6193 by AR_convert
Welcome Smerds! I am the same height as well. I managed to get into the Epics V10 sport & V10L with the footplates set all the way forward. Epic also sell a footplate that will give you another inch or so.

Dicko is spot on with the Carbonology Sport "Vault", I had plenty of room and there was about another inch of footplate adjustment left.

Best wishes with your boat search, you've certainly come to the right site to learn what you need to know. ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6194 by thebigadski
If u can get a hold of a think EVO I or II the seats are super comfy and plenty of room for leg length adjustment.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6197 by rubberDuck
Morning Lihan

So if you did the course at Fishhoek, am I correct in asuming that you are located in the Western Cape?

If so, come paddle a bit here in Gordons Bay. The water is more friendly to absolute beginners, and there are much less Gray Men around to make you nervous if you go for a swim.

With regards to the skis; I have both the Think Evo (made by Knysna Racing) and the CK Horizon. The Evo has less leg length than the Horizon. I am 1.82, and when set up correctly, there are 2 holes left in front on the Evo, compared to 4 holes on the Horizon. Unfortunately we don't get the proper Think manufactured Evo or Evo II here, so I can't compare it to that. Also, how do you check for correct leg setup. Make sure you have enough space under the back of your knee to allow for proper rotation. When you do a full rotation the back of your legs should not be touching the hump of the bucket. Or so I have been taught.

Cheers
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by rubberDuck.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6198 by smerds
thanks guys already some great advice ....

hopefully the search won't take forever since i'm keen to hit the water again.

1. need to get the boat
2. join a club to have access to some flat water
3. make some paddling buddies
4. have some serious fun