Nelo and leaks

More
1 year 9 months ago #39971 by Landlocked
Nelo and leaks was created by Landlocked
Hello! I’ve had an issue with two different Nelos now where the skis take in water. How much water is expected to leak in through the vent hole during at most ten wipeouts and remounts?
With the first boat it wouldn’t even take capsizes, waves pouring over the back deck would do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39973 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Nelo and leaks
A negligible amount. And the only reason I can think of for any water to get in is that if the boat was inverted for any length of time, it's possible (I guess) for the air temperature to be reduced inside the hull leading to a vacuum effect sucking water in. But really, if the boat itself is righted immediately, there should be no more than a drop or two getting in.

Is there a pipe in the vent hole? That would help reduce the chances of water getting in still further.

Have you tried the blow test to see if there are any leaks? Blow into the boat to raise the pressure (not too hard or you might damage the hull) and listen to see if you can hear air escaping. Use a sponge to wet the boat with soapy water - along the seams, wherever there are through-hull fittings like the rudder ducting, the scuppers, etc and see if any bubbles appear.

It's not usual for boats to develop leaks around the rudder shaft too - especially if you've hit rocks or kelp or something while paddling.

I've not heard that Nelo boats are peculiarly susceptible to leaks - any boat can leak - but you should be able to find out where that water is getting in.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Landlocked

More
1 year 9 months ago #39974 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Nelo and leaks
Hi,
Actually the Nelos can take in more then a few drops of water if briefly inverted during a remount. If left upside for longer, a very noticeable amount. We’ve had a few customers (we are a Nelo dealer) who thought they had leaks, and it was coming through the vent hole. One solution that has worked very well is inserting a piece of tubing into the vent hole, say a 3 inch piece with 1 inch inside the boat, 2 inches sticking out. I think I used 1/4inch clear fuel line from a hardware store. Just needs to be snug enough not to come out easily. Note: Never plug up the hole, this is a sure way to damage any boat when moving from hot car roof to cool water :)

Hope this helps!
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], Landlocked

More
1 year 9 months ago #39975 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Nelo and leaks

Hi,
Actually the Nelos can take in more then a few drops of water if briefly inverted during a remount. If left upside for longer, a very noticeable amount. We’ve had a few customers (we are a Nelo dealer) who thought they had leaks, and it was coming through the vent hole. One solution that has worked very well is inserting a piece of tubing into the vent hole, say a 3 inch piece with 1 inch inside the boat, 2 inches sticking out. I think I used 1/4inch clear fuel line from a hardware store. Just needs to be snug enough not to come out easily. Note: Never plug up the hole, this is a sure way to damage any boat when moving from hot car roof to cool water :)
Hope this helps!
Chris

Great feedback - thanks Chris!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 9 months ago #39976 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Nelo and leaks
Check that footboard adjustment rubber stops on the base of the footwell have not worn through. Hard to see if not looking properly. You have to lift the footboard up to see the contact point. I have just fixed one and the customer had the same issue, he could not find the leak.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39977 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Nelo and leaks
I have a 550. Good little boat. The nelo vent is much larger in diameter than other brands and has no tube. You could just about put a pencil through it. It therefore lets in more water than other designs when submerged. The simplicity of the design is that because the hole is large, the boat does not need a plug, screwcap, or other device that has to be opened to let the water out. So your boat is that way by design. I would not worry about it.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
1 year 9 months ago #39988 by Landlocked
Replied by Landlocked on topic Nelo and leaks
Thank you for this idea. It was also mentioned by someone else on this forum. I tested it today and the ski did not take in water despite a few remounts in the surf. I used tube from a broken water gun…

Latest Forum Topics