Time for a new boat

More
5 years 7 months ago #32653 by 1932023550378760@facebook
Howdy all

It's time for a big upgrade.
I'm going from a Stellar SEI that has served me well while I've learnt to paddle and get my balance. I'm now in the market for a new racer. (I mostly paddle in Flat Water but will soon go ocean but that will start in my Stellar). I'm in QLD, Australia if it matters.

I'm tossing up between the Think Uno Max or the Epic V14 or the new Stellar SEA.
I'm a bigger guy 183cm & 90kg (Losing weight and hoping to get to 85kg).

Anyone have any solid advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32655 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Time for a new boat
The differences between the elite boats is mostly fit and ergonomics of the cockpit. They are all fast with an appropriately skilled pilot at the helm. So if your reason for getting an elite boat is to be able to go faster, then do some time trials in a demo boat in the conditions you plan to race in before plunking down the cash. Many non-experts find they go slower in the skinny boats, but a good rep will steer you towards something that will let you paddle your best.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32664 by Woody
Replied by Woody on topic Time for a new boat
I paddle ( SES and V12) in Brisbane Qld Bay and river conditions which includes flatwater and open ocean and my advise is to consider keeping your SEI for the bigger days (> say
15 knots) out on open ocean and use a more HP ski for smaller days and flat water .

More
5 years 7 months ago #32674 by giff06
Replied by giff06 on topic Time for a new boat
If you're set on Epic and a larger paddler I would take a good look at the V10. You want to not sacrifice power for speed. The V14 is probably the most unstable Epic just shy of their K1. Look to stability in the conditions you intend to paddle in and then speed will come! Just my 2 cents.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32676 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Time for a new boat
Don't underestimate the importance of fit and comfort in the seat, otherwise you might find yourself miserable after an hour. Different brands tend to have ideas of how to shape the seat and footwell.

Also, take a look at the 3G Think Ion - which is comparable to the V10 - but has a different seat and footwell shape.
EBorgnes

More
5 years 6 months ago #32678 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Time for a new boat
Years ago I "upgraded" from a Fenn XT to an Elite. Didn't take long to find out I made a mistake. The Elite is a great boat, but, beyond my comfort and tolerance level. I've done a few 25 km+ ocean races. No doubt I am faster in an intermediate ski vs an elite ski. Also be aware that a surfski is considerably more stable in fresh vs salt water regardless of conditions. Not sure if this applies here? I would suggest going from an SEI to a V-14 in the ocean is a HUGE step up. Even going from fresh to salt water with an SEI could be a real eye opener. I found an interesting
article/map of ocean salinity levels. Water looks quite a bit denser in Eastern Australia vs California where I am.
Good luck with your journey.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-...tanding-weather.html

On a side note: Pacific Gray whales migrate annually from arctic seas to shallow highly saline lagoons in Mexico. Much easier for pregnant females to bear their young, nurse, manage and protect them. Gives mom a break after swimming 5000 miles too. For mating whales it just makes it easier to copulate. Paddling with whales is pretty cool too!

Latest Forum Topics