V8Pro or SR? Bluefin S? Pretty new, fewer options...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31577 by Avg paddler
Interesting comments, my suggestion would be try before you buy, it may take a while to get what you want but when you do you’ll be happy with it.

I like to listen to what people say so you can make an informed decision however you need to be aware some of the guys on here could paddle a cork in 50 knot breeze and a 5m swell.

I currently paddle a v10 G2 after progressing from a plastic through a few skis, going too tippy to earlier (Stellar Ski, can’t remember the model as it was about 8 years ago, 6.5 metre, turned like the Queen Mary) then reverting to a V10 sport G1.

All the boats you mentioned will suit, for me the Epics boats fit and feel comfortable, that said they are heavy boats, but I consider this part of my workout.

As someone mentioned, skis hold there value, so if you get sick of it sell it an buy another. That said I still have my old V10 sport which can handle anything.

I paddle 1-3 days a week when time permits, 52 years old, 183 cms tall and 96 kgs, I consider myself an average paddler. I paddle alone these days but have paddled with groups in the past, both have there pros and cons. These days paddling is my yoga on water I get out there focus on my breathing, stroke the ocean and just switch off, its awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31578 by Wombat661
"I often paddle with a buddy in a V14 on a lake and this morning I was able to borrow a V8 (performance layup) and I gained 0.5-0.75mph. Instead of cruising just under 6mph and sprinting 1/2mi at 6.5 I could cruise at 6.5-6.8 and sprint 1/2mi at ~7.2."

That does not sound right. You mean going from V14 to V8 sport increased your speed. Shouldn't it be the other way around? V14 should have been the much faster boat.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31579 by tve
No :-). He's in a V14, I moved from a Nelo 510 to a V8...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31580 by firtree
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. It was a great conversation and really got me thinking. In the end I bought Newbflat's S18S tonight and hope to be paddling tomorrow :) Thanks everyone!

More
5 years 11 months ago #31584 by Atlas
Good choice firtree. It’s hard to see how you could have anything but fun in a stable and versatile ski like that.
Hope you get plenty of great downwind runs.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 11 months ago #31586 by zachhandler
Good choice firtree. If you want to get a skinnier boat in a couple years you can sell the S18 and it will be as though you were renting the thing for 100-200$ per year. Be sure to get a wing paddle too if you don’t already have one.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 11 months ago #31589 by Dicko
Once again I think people oversimplify the beginners should buy a beginners boat equation. Do you buy a boat for the 10% of paddles where you feel challenged or do you buy a boat for the 90% of paddles where you're paddling in flat water, talking to mates, or there a bumps that are small and organised. The s18 will be like sitting in a bathtub if you're in rough water, good luck in your first race or trying to keep up with mates on social paddles. My point is, isn't it easier to modify the conditions you paddle in, in a beginners boat like an SR, rather than buy a boat you will struggle to get speed in and grow out of in a months time. Surfski paddling is a challenge, there has to be an element of challenge in learning. Every situation, every person is different. Some people enjoy the the challenge of learning to paddle, some people buy Camry's. Thats life.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31590 by Atlas
And some people don’t want to miss out when it’s 40 knots and 4 metres.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 11 months ago #31591 by Fath2o
So Atlas, wait a minute and excuse me. Are you saying any Knucklhead in a Bluefin can challenge 40 knots and 4 meters? Are you serious! And then the other question is: can these conditions only be challenged in a ski like a Bluefin or v8? Excuse me, I don't know about you, but, my experience is quite different, sorry.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31592 by Atlas
Of course not. I’m saying that not everyone that paddles a “beginner” ski does so because they don’t want to challenge themselves.
I’m also saying that not everyone that wants to paddle in 40 knots and 4 metres can do it in an advanced ski. I have enormous respect for anyone that can however.

Current boats
Previous boats

More
5 years 11 months ago #31593 by [email protected]
Just a 2c to chuck in here.

A couple of paddlers here in Cape Town regularly switch to more stable boats when the Miller's Run is really cooking (Swordfish to Bluefin for example). Of course not everyone has the luxury of access to multiple boats.

Also while I understand Dicko's point about getting tired of a stable boat - and I certainly would - there are a couple of things:

1. Not everyone is interested in racing their mates every time they go out. Some paddlers just want to have a chilled float on the water - and that's ok.
2. I was reminded recently just how difficult it is for a new paddler to stay upright even on relatively stable skis when a buddy took up the sport for the first time. Hence for me a general rule (and rules always have exceptions) is that it's better to start on a more stable ski.
3. Most skis have pretty good resale value - so it's usually not the case that you're stuck with a ski. A pretty good approach is to use a really stable boat for a couple of months, get somewhat paddling fit, develop something of a stroke and balance, then flog the barge and move up to something slightly more frisky.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31594 by Dicko
What I was suggesting before was that even a leisurely paddle with your mates is so much harder when you have a slow boat. Trying to keep up with a group of Fenn elites in an intermediate ski or slower just pisses everyone off.

I reckon 60-70 % of the time I paddle, it is in water that I could paddle any elite ski on the market. 20% of the time I would still be comfortable in small downwind on that same ski. 10% of the paddles I'm thinking that this is hard work and 5% of the time I don't go out cos I don't have the boat, the skill and I'm old and fat. What ski do I buy? It depends on your attitude to paddling. So many factors.

I'd rather keep up and chat with my mates and enjoy moderate downwinds, than crank the big downwinds and finish 200 metres behind on the daily paddles in flatter waters. But that's my situation. I think the s18 falls into the latter category, the SR is closer to the first. Depends what you want.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31595 by AdrianBruce
Re resale: you’re lucky to get 50% of new price for a popular current model in good condition. For a minor brand or a superseded model, you’ll virtually have to give it away in my experience.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31596 by [email protected]

Re resale: you’re lucky to get 50% of new price for a popular current model in good condition. For a minor brand or a superseded model, you’ll virtually have to give it away in my experience

Yep, I should have said... Never buy your first ski new!

What I meant was that a used ski tends to hold its value for a while at least - but clearly that will vary depending where you live.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by [email protected].

• SteveW
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31597 by SteveW
I bought my Blue Fin S new as my first ski.
Quite frankly I don't see myself buying an intermediate or elite ski.
I feel comfortable in the Blue Fin and I am sure it won't disappoint on a downwind run.

I paddle both flat water and in the ocean. I am coming to terms with surfing waves , so in another 3 or 4 months will try my first Millers downwind.

The Blue Fin will satisfy my needs for a surfski as I am not competitive and have no interest in racing.
What I have most enjoyed with the Blue Fin is it's stability and the ease at which it catches waves.

So far it has been a blast.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31602 by Rod Thomas
The issue with a tippy ski is not whether you can have fun in it or not, but can you climb back on to it after you fall out. Probably not.

Latest Forum Topics