Boat Volumes

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32090 by Meerkat
Replied by Meerkat on topic Boat Volumes
Hi everyone!

So here is my next update. I was supposed to paddle the Think Zen in the race I did on Saturday but unfortunately with reasons beyond my control it didn't turn out as planned.

I always wanted to do the Spit to Zoo race and thought that if there is a chance to put this boat to the test it would be in this race. Luckily I could still use my brain (as the adrenalin was pumping through my veins) and I quickly rushed over (ready to race) to Sydney Harbour Kayaks, 20 min prior to the race, to get set up in a rental ski, the Fenn XT.

This boat was never really on my list to test but I didn't have much of an option so got them to set that up for me. Just before I signed the form they told me I won't be able to do the long course (16 km) because it extends beyond their boundary. You can imagine the disappointment as I've been waiting a year to do this race and now I have to revert to the short, 8 km course. I have paddled the series in the Long Course and I wanted to end it on a high note...

Anyway, I was there and it was a beautiful day so a raced. By the time I got into the boat to be set up, I only had 10 min before the race started. I had to miss the briefing but that was OK because I know this course pretty well. I tell the guy, OK, you can go one more click closer and he apologetically looked at me and said, I'm sorry but that's it...

Oh OK, damn, it will have to do then. I paddle away and try to get comfy but being just one click too far, and having this huge hump under my legs I immediately thought it's better that I will only be doing 8 km's. My heels couldn't reach the bottom of the footplate so I had to revert to my K1 skill in leg driving with my toes...

Halfway through I started getting a semi-dead leg. I was still smiling though and I will tell you why in a minute. I managed to paddle up to the start line in time and then still had a few moments to chat with my partner. Calmer now I was ready. I didn't have the best start, well because of the one click and the hump. BUT, the next moment I started moving faster than I expected. It was very soon that I realised that the XT loves a bit of a bump and just glides over the water, and it loves the mess that the other boats created.

I made it to the top turn, smiling all the way with a bit of a (very small) swell from behind, mostly created by other boats and boats with engines, where we would head into some crappy side chop, I simply kept powering through the water where so many others had to brace-paddle-brace-ooops-brace. I was passing people I never thought I would pass, all because this boat was eating up every little bump and because I could apply power through the water with every single stroke without bracing.

It was then that I realised that the Fenn boats are fast. I was always of the opinion that the sleeker and the more tippier, the faster. It turns out that those sleeker boats, in this instance, fell behind because I was more confident in a more stable boat so I could keep moving.

I came 2nd in my division in this race so happy with the outcome in the end. To sumarise, this boat would be even better with a lower hump, a smaller footplate (I couldn't keep pedals straight as my feet are too small) and one to two clicks closer.

Next, I'm hoping to again get my hands on the Think Zen for a test paddle and then the new Carbonology Boost Low Volume. I've heard some good things about this LV Boost so let's see. Stay tuned...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32091 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Boat Volumes
The XT is a fantastic downwind / rough water ski. It’s such a shame that Fenn have dropped the ball on this one. I think they have forgotten that it even exists. The jump from a Bluefin to a Swordfish is a big one and Fenn are losing paddlers to more ergonomically appealing “transition” skis. The XT really needs an ergonomic update. Apart from having the rudder moved forward; I don’t think the hull needs any changes.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 8 months ago #32092 by Scode
Replied by Scode on topic Boat Volumes
I have heard that the updated version of the XT, the XT S, will be out very shortly with changes similar to what you describe. Updated ergonomics - similar to what they have done with the Swordfish S and Bluefin S.

Agree that it is a great ski and a revision is well overdue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas, Meerkat

More
5 years 8 months ago #32093 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Boat Volumes

I have heard that the updated version of the XT, the XT S, will be out very shortly

I can confirm. Just spoke with Travis at Fenn...

Hoping to get my hands on one here in Cape Town, will post a review.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meerkat

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32094 by Meerkat
Thanks for the comment Atlas. Looks like Fenn after all made those changes to the XT. Would be nice to test the new XT S ;)

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32100 by Meerkat
Hi Robin

Wow that great, glad they made these changes and didn't forget about the XT.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32101 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Boat Volumes

Wow that great, glad they made these changes and didn't forget about the XT.

Interesting... they were a little cagey about when the boat would actually be available but I'm hopeful that it won't be too long.

The S versions of the Elite and especially the Swordfish have been real improvements, so let's hope the XT benefits to the same extent!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 7 months ago #32300 by jateureka
Replied by jateureka on topic Boat Volumes
Hi Meerkat, looks like Stu just unloaded some Think Zen skis. Hopefully one will be coming up to Brisbane as a demo so I can get a test paddle.

I did get to test paddle a Nelo 550 M/L bucket on Sunday. I had just paddled my Fenn Swordfish S carbon for 10km and so it was great to compare them back to back. The 550 felt very stable on flat water, the flatter hull gives heaps of primary stability. It accelerated well and allowed great leg drive as the hump is so low, felt more like my intermediate K1 than any other ski I've paddled. The bucket drained really quick with the bailer open 1 click, something my Swordy struggles with (hopefully fitting bullets behind the venturis will fix that). The volume on the Nelo 550 felt right but I would like to test it in some waves.

Current: NK Storm 570 carbon lite, Storm 57 race (aramid). Stellar S2E double, Epic V9 custom tourer
Sold: Epic V11 & V12, Stellar S18x, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Evo II

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #32302 by Meerkat
Thanks very much, jateureka. I saw the full container pics on Facebook. I will have to arrange a test when they do their time trial on a Saturday. Now if only I can get a free Saturday to arrange it! Lol!

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #32303 by Meerkat
Hi there, me again!

So here is my next update, this time, YES, finally the Carbonology Boost LV!

My partner and I decided to go out on a very windy day at Clontarf, the idea was to replicate the Spit to Zoo race. Unfortunately, the wind was just not our best friend on the day and we only had an hour as the shop where we rented the Swordfish for my partner actually closed because of the crazy wind conditions.

We set out and immediately I felt very comfortable in this boat. I didn't at first realise why but I will let you know in a sec. On the flat, the boat needed a few hard paddles to get going but I think this was only because it was the heaviest Glass build (15 kg). As soon as it caught a bit of a bump, off I went. I paddled effortlessly and the crazier the water got the better this boat responded. The Swordfish is known as quite a fast boat and usually my partner paddles a ski faster than me but this time I could keep up quite easy and even paddle past.

My partner and I decided to swap boats and I jumped into the Swordfish. Immediately I realised why I was so extremely comfortable in the LV, the seat is raised higher which immediately make me feel I can apply more power through the water rather than feeling as if I'm paddling uphill...My very small feet fitted in nicely on the footplate and I could easily reach the pedals. It felt nice and cozy around my hips but not too tight. I was just really really comfortable and loved every moment!

After 3 months of testing boats, I think I might have found my boat. I just have one more boat to test, the Think Zen. Seeing that the capacity of the Zen is 100 kg, vs the Boost LV's 90 kg I think the LV would suit my 58 kg much better. I do however believe in still trying all the options before making a final decision.

Now for the last question, should I go for the Boost LV, do I get the Hybrid (13 kg) or the Carbon (11.5 kg)...?

More
5 years 6 months ago #32723 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Boat Volumes
Hi Meerkat.
What did you end up buying?

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #32724 by Meerkat
Hi Atlas

My partner and I were so impressed with the Carbonology Boost Low Volume that we ordered one for each of us in the Hybrid layup.

Will arrive from South Africa this week. Can't wait!

Thanks

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #33169 by 10215251009367314@facebook
Hi Meerkat, interested to hear how you found the Boost LV - on the flat and out on the open sea. I'm demoing one tomorrow as well as another go on a Vault. I nearly bought a 2nd hand Vault a month ago but felt discomfort even though the one I first demoed felt great. Couldn't figure out why but based on my first paddle loved the Vault hence the paddle tomorrow. If I still feel uncomfortable in the Vault I'll try the Boost LV though I've been told the buckets are identical. Cheers Tony
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by 10215251009367314@facebook. Reason: typo

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #33172 by Meerkat
Hi Tony
My partner and I loved it so much we both ordered one. It is absolutely amazing. I have also tried the Vault but although it is a fantastic boat I felt I needed a bit more stability in rougher stuff. 

I have not taken it out on bigger conditions yet but I can say for certain that when you try to get on a bump it just takes off effortlessly. Out of all the boats I have trialed this stood out by far. There is almost no hump and the seat is nice and high. We both got the Hybrid model as it is still light enough. 

I would suggest that you test both boats in flat and rough conditions. It also depends on what you do most of the time, messy stuff or more ocean swell. 

I hope this was helpful. 
Thanks 

More
5 years 4 months ago #33173 by 10215251009367314@facebook
Thanks Meerkat. Boost LV definitely worth a go as I'd like to get outside more often. Will let you know how I go tomorrow.
Cheers
Tony

More
5 years 3 months ago #33178 by Possum
Replied by Possum on topic Boat Volumes
Well, I bought the Boost LV due to it's amazing stability and comfort. The Vault was quicker but tight on my hips. I took both for a test paddle before deciding. Paddled Boost LV @ 9.2 kmh v Vault 9.8 kmh on flat tidal water out and back. It was quite windy but neither boat was adversely effected due to their low profiles. The scuppers worked a treat at keeping the foot well dry. The Vault is a great looking boat but figure I wouldn't be able to exploit its full potential in the rough so the head ruled the heart and I played it safe and went for the Boost LV. It looks a bit like a stubbier version of the Vault. Looking forward to going outside in this very stable ski. 

Latest Forum Topics