'13 V8 Ultra layup

More
11 years 1 week ago #16122 by CyberSki
'13 V8 Ultra layup was created by CyberSki
I have had a chance to "test" the ultra layup on my new V8 the last several weeks, and can say without any reservation that I am happily surprised at its resilience. I was warned from multiple sources about the fragility of this boat so I was almost afraid to take it off the padded racks.

Took a forward stroke class with Ben Lawry last weekend (in 26 degree fahrenheit windchill) and hit no less than three rocks due to a very low tide during the class. My loud expletives were no doubt unwelcomed - but my anxiety over "denting, dimpling, creasing, etc" drove me to jump off at the next sandy beach to check damage.

Not a scratch, dimple, crease, or anything else damage-wise was found, and man, was I relieved!! I yelled over to Ben to tell "Greg" that he made a good boat..

Since then I have also participated in a kayak rescue in high winds that had my ski bumping against the victim's kayak - but once again, no damage at all.

Just wanted to add a positive experience..

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16123 by Hawkesbury Classic
There's also a great users review on the new V8 over at the Fat Paddler. Seems it's getting many positive reviews. Makes me almost want one as I'm yet to master my V10s in rough conditions.

111km marathon paddle overnight
26th - 27th October 2013
www.canoeclassic.as.au

More
11 years 1 week ago #16124 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup
Hmmmmm....that is VERY interesting reading. I think it should be noted that my 2013 V8 Ultra did NOT come with a new bailer...and did NOT come with new end handles either.

Strange...

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
11 years 1 week ago #16125 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup
With respect to CyberSki´s experience......the surfski business is weird .... you never know what you get

More
11 years 1 week ago #16130 by Simon Haywood
From what I have heard on the grapevine - The 2013 model V8 was first produced approx Oct-Nov 2012...About Jan 2013 Epic in their infinite wisdom decided it would have a mini make over on the MY2013 V8 again! and boats built approx Feb onwards had the new plastic bailer, moulded rear handle etc. I too had one of these odd MY2013 built Nov 2012 - limited Edition I was told! Not impressed! I have since sold my limited edition V8 ski.

Epic really know how to piss off customers!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
11 years 1 week ago #16134 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup
I kind get a tad bit grumpy at the fact that a boat that I purchased a season and a half ago -that was basically a new model two years ago- has already been completely redesigned.

It's difficult enough to sell a used ski in my area. What makes things even more difficult is that the dealer does not take trades on skis... He only does so with kayaks.

With a model redesign in that short of an amount of time, it can only negatively effect the resale of the previous model making it even more difficult to sell for a decent value.

If I want to buy a new V8 or the new V10, I have to now be willing to "give away" my current V8 that is pretty much in new condition.
Why? Because anyone buying a V8 will probably want the newer model as opposed to saving a few hundred bucks on an old one.

I understand a four year model revamp, or subtle yearly changes... That makes sense.

But a two year complete revamp of a boat, really hangs those of us with the previous model, out to dry in regards to selling our old boats to buy new ones.

Okay, I have whined enough on the subject. So let me whine about another one! :)

People have said that the new model is "faster" than the old one.

I would like actually see numbers that back that up.

If the newer model is indeed faster, I simply cannot see how it would even be a noticeable amount except by GPS log comparison.

I'm not saying that it isn't indeed "faster". I'm just saying that I would like to actually see some evidence of it, as opposed to what may be comments that can only be attributed to nothing more than an extreme case of, "I gots me a new boat" enthusiasm. :laugh:

The difference in flatwater cruising speed between my V8 and V10 sport is noticeable, but not overwhelming. It's measured in tenths of a Kph...

For that reason, I can't really see how adding a new deck and taking out a tad bit of rocker from the hull, would make a ski of the same dimensions, faster to the point where it would even be noticeable... Except of course if one did a very close comparison of GPS logs from both boats that were taken over the course of a few outings in similar conditions.

Does anyone actually have such info that can be shared? I wouldst be most grateful if it twas shared here within...

Mucho gracious'!

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #16136 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup
Don't think you will find any concrete evidence of extra speed. I work in an industry where constant claims are made of improved performance of new models, still I get the same guys bringing their new improved models in for refinements, despite the forums telling everyone that this year, that won't be needed. Now in my industry, if you don't bring out changes to your product within a model year, you will be left behind, mostly on the showroom floor. I actually have no problems with ski manufacturers doing upgrades each year, I just don't necessarily think that such changes are going to mean extra speed on the water.

I'm also constantly seeing claims of paddlers saying they are 12km/h paddlers etc etc, without the supporting Garmin tracks posted up. Not saying they can't paddle at that pace and indeed I know paddlers that can, but without supporting Garmin tracks to show the full story, its just a load of hot air to me. I like to back up any claims I make with supporting evidence, but I certainly can't make the claims that I see posted up online.
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marieski

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #16138 by PaddleFaster

I'm also constantly seeing claims of paddlers saying they are 12km/h paddlers etc etc, without the supporting Garmin tracks posted up. Not saying they can't paddle at that pace and indeed I know paddlers that can, but without supporting Garmin tracks to show the full story, its just a load of hot air to me. I like to back up any claims I make with supporting evidence, but I certainly can't make the claims that I see posted up online.

Greg: That stuff right there that you wrote, sorta hits the nail right on the proverbial head.

Understand what you mean by upgrades; worked in the
power-sport industry for a bit. Some companies did a remodel every 4 to 5 years, with upgrades each year. Other companies did nothing but upgrades for a decade. I guess it's different/easier in ski manufacturing to recoup initial investments because a new mold for a ski, costs far less.

To me, the new V8 isn't an upgrade. It's a completely new and different boat.

Because of that fact, I feel that on what basically looks and performs like a new boat, I now have to expect about a loss of %50 on resale now, instead of about %30.

Who am I kidding. When I get a bug up the bum for a new boat, I really don't care what I get for the old one. In fact, like most I usually keep them both! :laugh:
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by PaddleFaster. Reason: I screwed up again! Why else would I edit!

More
11 years 1 week ago #16140 by Simon Haywood
I think its like all skis...It depends who's in the engine room!

I've had a MY12 V8 Ultra and MY13 V8 Ultra...Is it faster? in my case it sure felt faster!
On flat water I have recorded faster times in the newer version...I am a better paddler now than when I had the older model (and lighter!) So my times have improved.

I did not see or really expect a 1km/hr improvement in speed...

The hull weight changed too MY12 was 13.5kg and The MY13 was 12.2kg...so that makes some difference.

I now have since sold my Epic V8 Ultras lost money on both and bought a Stellar SR its only 10.5kg and was significantly cheaper!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 1 week ago #16151 by PaddleFaster
Sumo, thanks for the feedback. That was a real quick turn around on the new V8.

I do understand the purchase of the SR. It's a real nice boat and if the bucket had fit me right, I would probably have had one myself right now.

It can be a real expensive proposition trying to find the right boat through trial and error.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16152 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup
Sometimes different paddle craft can feel faster or slower than they actually are. I keep a spreadsheet and list all the stats like average speed, heart rate etc going back over several years and for different kayaks as well which I paddle. I have one particular kayak that goes through the water without fuss and the numbers tell me it is faster than it feels, however it feels slow because it goes about its work without fuss, where as a more lively kayak I have is a lot more fun to paddle. Because I don't enjoy paddling the fuss free kayak and it feels dead, its going on the market as I paddle the kayak that I enjoy paddling, which feels faster, despite the numbers telling me there is very little difference to back that feel. I'm sure the same would apply to certain skis, it just would be not as pronounced as the kayaks which have a much wider spread of design parameters. Without having tracks and data to compare, its easy to be fooled.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16157 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup
I think in comparison to some industries and sports, surfskis don't get the updates we see elsewhere. Look at the bike industry as an example. Every season there are new bikes, new features, new modifications, which have a knock on effect on resale value of previous. We don't have that as much in paddling, so your resale should hold up OK. I think you would get more for a 2 year old ski you purchased for 3K than a bike of the same age and price.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16164 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Re: '13 V8 Ultra layup

Stew wrote: I think you would get more for a 2 year old ski you purchased for 3K than a bike of the same age and price.

Spot on! Several years ago I purchased an Italian custom built sports/tourer (carbon Carrera) with all the good euro gear (Campag components, Mavic wheels, etc, etc). It cost me over $4500. A couple of years later due to ongoing bad knee problems I tried to sell it as I had hardly ridden it. I advertised nationally; asked $1750, wanted $1500, would have accepted $1000, but I didn't even get an offer. (I'm now keeping it and will soon hand it over to my grandson when he gets a bit taller.)

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
11 years 1 week ago #16179 by CyberSki
Went out again yesterday in some washing machine chop and strong winds with the V8 and really appreciated the stability of hull in those conditions. Downwind it was fun and reassuring but upwind...ugh..fighting for every inch. Did note though that the drainage in the bucket is inadequate as I never had less than 4" of water in it. No wonder they put the bailer in it..and it would be a nice gesture if they would swap out a bailer model with mine! The handles aren't a big concern to me, but a drier cockpit sure is.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16181 by Simon Haywood
Hey Cyber,

I found if you lean forward and powerup the V8 into the waves/wind it goes ok...but you really need to keep the speed up to keep it bailing.

Good luck with Epic swaping the boat over...let me know if they do.

Also, I see on your tag your previous ski was a Stellar SR and you went to the V8...Why? Just I did the opposite. My SR is a brand new Excel at 10.5kg - its almost as fast as my V10sport Ultra on the flat yet to get it out in the waves.

Sumo

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 1 week ago #16182 by CyberSki
Hi Sumo - and I just want to say - I really enjoy your posts, so keep it up.

The SR Advantage layup was my first ski and found it to be too loose and thought it felt "slow". The V8 I picked up recently (my Old-new model) was supposed to be for my wife though it is my only ski at the moment until my S1-XL arrives from Huki.

A buddy of mine had offered me his used SR Excel at an excellent price but had remembered that fit and knew if my wife would use it that it would even be looser for her.

I am hoping Stellar upgrades/modifies the SR very soon to make that cockpit narrower as well as the catch area...then I will be all over it.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16184 by Simon Haywood
Cyber, you're right on the catch area - It sure could be narrower. The cockpit holds some water! I'm working on a solution - I'll let you know once it is perfected.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
11 years 1 week ago #16186 by PaddleFaster
Cyber, are you in the U.S.?

If so, I have a whole bag of - hole in the middle- rubber plugs/bungs that you put a piece of 3/16 bungee through an attach to the leash point in the cockpit.

It makes it easy to plug the venture to keep the boat dry and remove it when you have to drain the cockpit.

If you are here in the states, let me know. I would be more than happy to throw one in the mail for you.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16187 by PaddleFaster
I think I got Cyber's post confuse with Sumo's post. Sorry about that..

More
11 years 1 week ago #16188 by CyberSki
If they would fit the V8 drain hole - then please contact me at slovrien at comcast dot net to get my address! :)

Latest Forum Topics