Faster boat...?

More
11 years 2 months ago #15516 by coldwater
Faster boat...? was created by coldwater
So with all the hype of epic's new V10 I have a question...
To choose between a full carbon Swordfish at 10.5kg or the new V10 ultra at 12.3kg...?

I've paddled both boats and my thoughts are...
The Swordfish in vacuum glass layup (+/-14.5kg) compared to the new V10 ultra layup is marginally slower (not surprisingly)

I'm wondering if a full carbon Swordfish might close the speed gap...?

Which boat do you think would be quicker and why...?

Insights please!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15521 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Faster boat...?
The speed difference between these two skis on flatwater should be more than marginal at race speeds, though maybe not at speeds lower than about 7 mph.

They're both light. I'd say to go with the faster hull - the V10. The lighter swordfish won't make up for its fatter hull and deck.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15523 by [email protected]
Did you paddle both boats in choppy water and if so, how did the stability compare?

The old V10 was significantly more tippy than the Swordfish, to the extent that in rough conditions I beat a friend paddling his V10ultra by miles when I raced my Swordfish, whereas on flat water he'd paddle away from me.

If Epic have managed to combine stability with speed, and that's what I'm hearing, then the V10P could be a game-changer for a lot of people...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15524 by barrypaddle1
Replied by barrypaddle1 on topic Re: Faster boat...?
Some observations, maybe wrong but anyway.

Epic seems to always like the rumour they have quick boats. (who can forget the V12 vs K1 release notes)

If the V12 was so quick why did they feel the need to release the V14.

Realistically the new V10 should not be faster then the old v10.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by barrypaddle1.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15536 by coldwater
Replied by coldwater on topic Re: Faster boat...?

robin.mousley wrote: Did you paddle both boats in choppy water and if so, how did the stability compare?

The old V10 was significantly more tippy than the Swordfish, to the extent that in rough conditions I beat a friend paddling his V10ultra by miles when I raced my Swordfish, whereas on flat water he'd paddle away from me.

If Epic have managed to combine stability with speed, and that's what I'm hearing, then the V10P could be a game-changer for a lot of people...

Hi Rob
I have paddled both boats in rough conditions.
Something like the kissing whales on the dragon run combined with 4m swell and 20-25kts, testing the new V10 upwind and downwind.
The stability is almost identical between the SF and the new V10.
It's quite staggering! As you say, the flatwater speed is quicker on the new V10.
Hope that sheds some light...?
As a matter of interest - what layup are you getting for your new V10?

More
11 years 2 months ago #15538 by [email protected]

The stability is almost identical between the SF and the new V10.

Wow. I want!

As a matter of interest - what layup are you getting for your new V10?

Ultra layup...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics