How to ski train with no ski.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9639 by Marieski
What are the best exercises anyone can suggest when unavoidably removed from anything paddlable for 3 weeks (and comp coming up 3 weeks after return). Cardio fitness no problem; I can run. I should have access to basic gym equipment more than half the time. I have used rowing machines in the past but these are usually not available either.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #9642 by smilicus
Best 1 for me to keep your core strong, keep your muscles conditioned and help with your balance:

Sit on a swissball (those big gym balls) place your legs in front of you with your feet on a soccer ball and use a broomstick or your paddle and simulate a paddling action.

This will help keep your core strong, your balance great and your muscles from getting stiff and sore the first time you are out for a paddle again.

Also look at this thread - www.surfski.info/forum/1-general/5930-te...work-on-balance.html

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by smilicus.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #9702 by mrak
Marieski, I've used the following 3 or 4 exercise routine on a few trips. It works well and can be done in almost any hotel room. I did these almost every day.
1) Ab crunches- 4 sets of 25 sit ups (bent knees, raised knee reverse crunches etc)
2) Push ups - 3 sets of 20. More if you want, but that was good enough for me.
3) Tricep dips. Grip a chair seat behind you and do 3 sets of 20 dips.
4) Standing One arm rows. If you can find a bucket, load it up with phone books, a bottle of wine or two, anything heavy. Then do 4 or 5 sets of 20-30 one arm rows with each arm. Be sure to know how to position youself and hold your back before you do these. Check a photo /diagram first to avoid back problems.

I'm not a fitness trainer but these exercises worked well for me during 3 wk trips. They dont take long and need no equipment except a bucket (and bottles of wine.) It only took me a few days on the ski when I returned to feel normal again.

Happy travelling and keep fit.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by mrak. Reason: typo

Latest Forum Topics