hip pinch

More
12 years 6 months ago #8161 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Re: hip pinch
You may find this product..umh... interesting.... Have to say, came home one day and saw this and was a bit perplexed, but my wife has been using this to help with her sciatica, which has definitely helped. Sounds like a similar approach. Website may have some good info.

SacroWedgy

Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8163 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: hip pinch
I can't believe how timely this is! A few weeks ago I was observed paddling and informed that when I paddled my ski leans to the left slightly and my head leans to the right to compensate. I was not aware of this, had no pain anywhere, but at times I was perplexed that my ski seemed to sometimes veer to the right, always the right for some reason.
I was told to go see an Osteopath, actually the one who travels with the NZ kayaking squad when they travel overseas. This I did only yesterday.
He immediatley identified an imbalance in my hips while standing, left was higher than the right, which translated to the imbalance when seated in the ski. He treated me, recommended pilates to stretch out the area and I need to return after three weeks of stretching out the area.
I was always a little jammed up when paddling on the left side, would sometimes get a dull pain in the left shoulder when the stroke was not working properly and the Osteopath said my range of motion and rotation will be greatly improved by lengthening the hip area.
This Sacrowedgy looks like just the device that would help in this area and I'm going to make one today to use.
So thank you ccchappell for bringing this to our attention!
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8173 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: hip pinch
Not quite sure exactly what I'm asking but I tend to get very sore hamstrings after paddling for more than 2hrs. It gets to the point where I'm unable to push with my legs when paddling. I'm not sure if its hip pinch, I've just been researching ITB and the like for over an hour and still cant tell.

Firstly I paddle a Epic V8 which from what I understand has a more wide and flat bottomed seat bucket, not the type of seat described in this thread. I've also got a Kani seat pad which I assume would flatten the bottom of the seat bucket and help stop hip pinch.

I've adjusted the footplate as far as I can (I ended up too far before I adjusted it back slightly)and it doesnt help much at all.

Any ideas as to how I can solve the problem?

Cheers

Epic V10 Sport Performance

More
12 years 6 months ago #8174 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: hip pinch

Shady wrote: I've adjusted the footplate as far as I can (I ended up too far before I adjusted it back slightly)and it doesnt help much at all.

Any ideas as to how I can solve the problem?

Cheers

Plain and simple it's just tight hammies, best way to sort out, while you are standing, keeping your back sraight throw your leg up on a hip height surface, ie Picnic table or fence if you are near water, then without bending your back lean forward, now this is the hard part, hold it for 30 seconds, most people do it for about 5 seconds and go "yep, all done" but it takes a while for the muscle fibres to relax and allow the stretch, repeat at least twice or more. This also helps lower back issues which can come up as a result of tight hammies. When I first got into paddling I had it bad, had numb legs after a paddle, now I can go for a couple of hours without any issues.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #8176 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: hip pinch
Every boat I have ever sat in for any length of time, that had a seat pad, has put my right leg to sleep.

A seatpad in the V12 I tested did so until I ripped it out.
The borrowed Red7 I have at the moment does to, although it takes about 4km for symptoms to show.

Did you fit a seat pad in the V8 to try and stop this or for other reasons?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 6 months ago #8182 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: hip pinch
Interseting you should say that RAB. I bought the ski with the seat pad already in. I've thought about taking it out as it doest allow for any butt movement, it grips rather than slips.
I thought that the pad would help over long paddles, and raise my bum up a bit to help with a more K1 style seating position ( if only slightly). Stability isnt an issue because its a V8 and steady as a rock.

Prior to purchasing the ski I hired one many times with no seat pad and my hamstrings were still very sore after 2-3 hours of paddling.

Cheers

Epic V10 Sport Performance

More
12 years 6 months ago #8187 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: hip pinch
Shady,
check that your legs aren't too straight. When you start paddling it feels more stable to have straighter legs cos you get a lower centre of gravity. This makes your hammies tighter. Shorten your pedals a notch and see if it eases the hammie problem.

Latest Forum Topics