Is my V10 Ultra right fit for Me?

More
13 years 7 months ago #5094 by wannagofast
I bought a used V-10 Ultra by Epic. I'm 5.7" 30" inseam and 172lbs. Since I'm new to the sport and not swimming even though the boat is twitchy. Im paddling a bit over 7mph in most condtitions. If a power boat comes by, I position myself to take the waves on the side, and I sprint. (Is that called side beam? They need a terminology section! for new guys) I sprint to cause myself to be unstable.( to improve!) All seems OK but this guy says, "You'll be even happier in another boat that fits better for my size. So, what is just as fast and more stable for me? He also said the V 10 L would have been better. Also, Anyone have a comment about Stellar SES for short guys like me. Thanks :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5206 by red_pepper
Are you running primarily flat water, or bigger water/waves? The V10L would probably fit you a little better in some respects (cockpit is slightly farther forward and I believe the leg room is slightly less) and have lower wind resistance due to the lower volume bow, but I believe the hull shape is identical below the water line so speed and stability should be about the same. If the V10 fits you comfortably and you don't have any real issues with it, you're probably fine as you are. I'm on the other end of the spectrum: 6'1" and 200 lbs, running a V10L Ultra. I like the fit of the boat, and since I'm primarily on flat water I like the lower bow volume and I understand the slightly more forward cockpit placement is helpful in popping the boat in the shallows. Since my legs are shorter with respect to my torso (31" inseam) I have sufficient foot room in spite of my height.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5207 by wannagofast
Today I was paddling alone and came accross two women in a canoe. We talked as we paddled along. I commented about boat fit. I didnt expect any feedback. The two women began a highly technical conversation about hull designs and wetted surfaces, on and on. She then introduces herself. Justeen BARTON! Gregs wife. She then went on to help critique my paddling! FUN!

More
13 years 7 months ago #5208 by red_pepper
You must be in the Seattle area. :-) The Bartons are pretty well known here in the Indiana/Michigan region. Greg's brother Bruce and sister Connie are active (and fast!) canoe paddlers in our USCA events.

Latest Forum Topics