Foot Straps - How do you actually benefit from it

More
16 years 10 months ago #455 by MFB
Okay, I know its supposed to keep your feet in the boat when water gets rough. I read in the yahoogroups about this technique:

Posted by: "Scott Kelly" This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. nautilusmedical
Fri May 25, 2007 1:53 pm (PST)
Racers:

With the addition of foot straps to all the surf skis your transfer of power from foot to foot should come from the heal. This allows you to push with the heal (catch side) and pull with the other side creating more power and greater hull speed. It's the same science that goes into cycling. This also allows you greater control and stability in side chop and head on waves. It takes some time to get used to, but highly effective. If you don't have foot straps, think about getting them.

Scott Kelly PT; ATC "Failure Is Not An Option!"
www.ussurfski.com<www.ussurfski.com/>
www.wavechaser.com<www.wavechaser.com/>

Does this actually work? To those experienced paddlers, please comment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #456 by AlanC
I use one in my Mako 6 and feel lost without one. I can now finish races with my core and legs exhausted and less arm fatigue. With a foot strap, I am confident I can add (at least) 0.5 km/hr to my long distance pace. As in K1, it can take months to learn and longer to fully adapt your stroke.

The push and pull with the legs translates into a pulling side on your torso AND a pulling side. Many paddlers pull only, and at that pull more with arms than core.

The foot strap in a ski should be high enough on your foot to allow you to slip out if you fall in but low enough to allow good heel pressure when you pull. My foot strap has saved me from falling in a few times when I have been able to stabilize my core quickly using my legs and pulled back upright.

In rougher water you have to weigh off that positive connection against potential knee injuries should you fall out. An adjustable strap can be lengthened to allow you to use it when remounting if you like to use the strap when climbing back in.

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics