rowing machine training

More
15 years 1 day ago #3089 by Calpeboy
I own aconcept 2 rower which I purchased after tearing a hamstring and started rowing while sitting on my terrace in Calpe,Spain and while looking out over the sea I decided it would be more fun sitting on the water than on my terrace going nowhere and so I begay surfskiing and am now ready to get serious and I was wondering how much rowing on a stationery rower helps with paddling and if anyone has experience of combinig the rower into a training program.
I hope to see some of you guys out here for the European chalenge. It sure promises to be a great experience!:laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #3093 by YBA/Jim Murray
Many paddlers do use a simulator for winter training, either K1 or C1, with good specific affect. Concept makes a great rowing simulator though, and there are many indoor competitions around the world using it.
Paddlers sometimes enter those competitions with great success-leaving behind red faces on the rowing people :laugh: No names mentioned but Toronto area has these competitions and also competitive paddlers.
Seriously-everything helps, but muscle training specific to paddling is better. The best training is done in the boat that will be raced.

More
15 years 1 day ago #3096 by garykroukamp
I wonder if it's possible to modify the rowing machine to simulate the paddle stroke...

More
15 years 1 day ago #3097 by YBA/Jim Murray
You might modify for single blade paddling a rowing machine but I don't think it could be done for kayak/surfski.
These machines are useful if people are skating on your water, but they are not much fun to use-something like spinning your bike in the basement. By the time most people are warmed up they are ready to stop. It takes a strong mind and a lot of motivation to focus on training when all you see is a wall.

More
15 years 1 day ago #3098 by Christian_Hoeier
There are many kayak ergometers out there. They are very good for winter training and to improve technique on.

There is a model here:

www.dansprint.com/1/1/kayak_ergometer.html

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3102 by garykroukamp
...or if there is away you could use a rowing ergo differently to more closely simulate the paddle stroke. Those rowing machines are in every gym, so very convenient to do 15 minutes or so after a workout instead of buying an expensive kayak ergo which I probably wouldn't use given that I can paddle year-round here in Cape Town.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by garykroukamp.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3103 by YBA/Jim Murray
I think rowing/paddling ergometers basically use same fan for resistance. For rowing and single blade paddling only one fan is needed. I think you need two fans for a kayak erg. A good quality ergometer is expensive and for reason. It must mimic as closely as possible technique and resistance encountered on the water so that specific muscles are used properly. Also "muscle memory" can be retained. Unfortunately, these machines don't simulate conditions on the water such as wind, waves, currents and so on.
After saying all that. I think they are great for people who can't get on the water at all for extended periods. If one can stick to training on the thing,he will have a big jump on spring training and early races.
Those who are lucky enough to paddle on water year round are better off to do that-more fun too.
Of course that is only my opinion.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3104 by Calpeboy
Replied by Calpeboy on topic Re:rowing machine training
Hey you guys we seem to be missing the pont of the discussion which is how much benefit does the rowing machine give to paddling not wether we can convert the machine. I have 365 days a year of paddling weather with the sea never dropping below 12 deg at worst and 300 days a tear of sunshine however there are times when it's just quicker to get in a workout on my terrace than to get down to the beach. Also I work and have a 3 month old boy who has to be watched over otherwise the wife gives me kak if I am always out paddling.
Cheers
Henpecked:( :(

More
14 years 11 months ago #3105 by YBA/Jim Murray
Henpecked we know about and it is off topic and we want to forget about it.:(
A rowing machine is great for fitness but the exercise is not specific to paddling. Go for it if that is the only time you have-any thing you do will be positive.:)

More
14 years 10 months ago #3224 by BillBurnett
While the rower machine provides great overall cardio training, we found a better solution. FYI - my paddling mates and I went in on a relatively new paddling ergometer made by a U.S. company named Vasa. We have been extremely pleased with this machine. Paddling feels realistic, the power meter is precise and we get repeatable numbers, and it is very comfortable. One of the guys rigged up a swivel seat and this makes it very sweet. You can see more on this site. Hope this is useful. Happy paddling
www.vasatrainer.com/index.php?page=Product%20Kayak%20Ergometer

More
12 years 5 months ago #8452 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Re:rowing machine training
There is a group of us here in the Northeast, USA that have used the concept 2 for years myself included. some have both kayak and rowing erg. I train on my concept 2 from November up to the World Indoor Indoor Rowing championships in february here in boston,ma. I paddle atleast 3 times a week, just so the temp is above 20 degrees, and train on the erg the other days. For my money the concept 2 is the best piece of equipment you can buy. I have found the breathing simulates paddling and it is the best overall workout you can get. 30 minutes on the erg is worth an hour on the water. Interval work outs are actually better on the erg. 2k time trials are the most difficult work out I have ever done. Recovery times take longer on the erg vice paddling. Rowing ergs are not as boring as the kayak erg. Trying to get faster I have comtemplated even during the race season continue 2 times per week on the erg. If your are in great erg shape,you will be even better in paddling shape. So if you are time constrained, 30 minute erg workout can only help your paddling!! 2K time trial is the measure world wide. I thought about a kayak erg but since i can get on the water most days,I will stick to my rowing erg. Using different muscle groups is better as well for overall fitness. I have been erging for 10 years now. Wesley(surfskiracing.com)

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8460 by MhojoNZ
Replied by MhojoNZ on topic Re:rowing machine training
There is ample evidence that certain training adaptations are quite sport specific - development of neuro-muscular processes, changes in localised muscular metabolism and acquiring technical efficiency. Clearly though, cardio-respiratory fitness is not going to be exercise-specific.
I've owned a Concept 2 rower, Speedstroke Gym kayak erg and now a Weba-sport kayak erg. While I agree with Wesley that the Concept2 gives the best cardio-vascular workout (you are using larger muscle groups) it is not going to develop your paddling as much as a kayak erg for the above reasons.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8467 by Calpeboy
Replied by Calpeboy on topic Re:rowing machine training
That's pretty interesting. Which do you prefer,the speedstrloke or the Weba? Why do you have both?

More
12 years 5 months ago #8468 by MhojoNZ
Replied by MhojoNZ on topic Re:rowing machine training
I don't have both - sold my Speedstroke to purchase the Weba. As far as design and construction go each machine has pros and cons. However I found the monitor on the Speedstroke to be a bit primitive and the software expensive to purchase and quite limited in the information it gave you. They have a good internet racing package though and their support is superb.

Latest Forum Topics