Surfski training for juniors

More
15 years 7 months ago #2472 by rhooseboy
What's the current thinking about the right age when youngsters should be training and racing in surfskis? Our club tends to get them into full size skis from the age of 12/13, but some are saying it should be older - either over 14 or even over 16.

Any reports or evidence to suggest paddling once or twice a week is likely to cause harm to young people?

Cheers.

Simon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #2473 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Surfski training for juniors
I am faced with this exact problem with my school. I have kids of 10 and 11 coming to paddle but have to turn them away. Ideally, I think that they should have a solid swimming background and introduce K1 at 12 or 13,then moving on to skis at 16 would be ideal.

I actually accept swimmers at 14 in my ski program and things are going well. A lot depends on how big the kids are and what the prevailing conditions are like.

Stuart

More
15 years 7 months ago #2478 by stuartgordon92
i started paddling at 14, but really started training at 15, in my opinion the training has been amazing for me, i now enjoy waking up at 5.30am and doing an hour paddle before school, i think more kids should be doing it. teaches you alot not just paddling,

but i agree about 12 is probably the best age, you normally start growing about that age. learn technique before you get stronger

Latest Forum Topics