Pulling on straps and heel lifting

More
3 years 7 months ago #37319 by waverider
This vid of Carlos Garrote a champion sprinter, clearly shows foot action. It is hard to find many vids showing this. In this vid it clearly shows the pull on the the foot strap and lifting of the heels. This is contrary to what is taught by Oscar and Ivan Lawler where forward rotation of the hip compresses the bent leg keeping a slight push rather than pull, thereby heel stays firmly planted, and the way I do it. Not lifting means you are not having to reverse the leg force as its preloaded and it also introduces slack to be taken up in the linkage causing split second delay getting leg power started.... That said this guy is a way better paddler than than me so what do i know??

Any thoughts?
www.facebook.com/canoesport/videos/3612480958771360

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37320 by mrcharly
I'd suggest that there is a difference between efficient distance paddling and giving it full gas for a sprint.

The 'push opposite hip forward' technique makes a difference in efficiency for me. For the same effort, my speed jumps by nearly 0.5kph

A sprinter isn't interested in max efficiency, they are all about max power.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37321 by waverider

mrcharly wrote:
The 'push opposite hip forward' technique makes a difference in efficiency for me. For the same effort, my speed jumps by nearly 0.5kph

Thats what I found. It was like a penny dropping moment when I started doing this. Helps my stability better especially in a k1, and stops you pushing your butt into back of seat in a ski.

There are few clear vid examples of  foot/heel action from the side as its only really visible on an erg

More
3 years 7 months ago #37358 by manta
I saw this thread and didn't want to say anything until I gave it a try on the water.

So yesterday in my usual interval session I focussed on connecting my hip to the paddle. If you think of an imaginary line that connects the paddle blade to the hip on its side as the blade goes forward, the hip pulls forward. I tried to focus on this yesterday. There was no change in speed but anecdotally I felt a better rhythm developing.

It was only one session so I will try it again and see what comes of it. 

More
3 years 7 months ago #37362 by mrcharly
I tried that visualisation last night. 

Yup, it really works. Keeps the 'frame' intact and rotation smooth.

Interestingly, I wasn't pulling on the bar (strap). Some contact for stability, but not pulling on it.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37382 by manta

mrcharly wrote: I tried that visualisation last night. 

Yup, it really works. Keeps the 'frame' intact and rotation smooth.

Interestingly, I wasn't pulling on the bar (strap). Some contact for stability, but not pulling on it.

I also don't pull on the foot strap. Paddling is hip flexor intensive as it is, no need to add the added stress of pulling against the strap. The visualisation and making sure the hip comes forward has been enough for me to see a better engagement of the hip in the stroke. 

M

Latest Forum Topics