Keeping in shape while traveling?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30148 by MCImes
Keeping in shape while traveling? was created by MCImes
Hi Guys,
I’ve been paddling 3-4 times a week towards the end of summer here and have gotten into pretty good shape. I travel for work, typically not in long stints, but I have 3 weeks back-to-back on the road coming up. Not wanting to lose all my hard-fought conditioning, I’m wondering what workouts I can do at a hotel’s (typically basic) gym that will help me stay in shape while I’m away.

Hotel gyms can vary quite a bit, but assume fairly basic equipment (no rowing machines, ergs, ect). Also, I have a set of rubber bands I can pack easily that can loop around a doorway or just be pulled between arms/legs/whatever.

What are some good workouts to do with basic equipment, rubber bands, or gravity resistance while I'm on the road to stay half-way in shape?

Thanks!
Marcus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30149 by waterbornewarrior
Hi Marcus: On a few long trips I've done this with good results - returning with good fitness. Pick 3 or 4 exercises that you like. Ideally pick bodyweight or minimal-equipment exercises, one or two each of upper body, lower body, and core. Do them in a circuit for an appropriate number of reps, depending on your fitness. Test yourself or do them a couple of times before departing, so you have a number that's challenging, but doesn't result in much soreness the next day. Each day, add one or two total reps. The exact set / rep scheme doesn't matter, just get in a certain number of total reps. In other words, 3x10 and 5x6 are equivalent. You can do them with no rest, a short rest (15-60"), or do a set of something aerobic for 15-60" between sets (jumping jacks, bear crawls, "air paddling," etc). On a trip last year I started with 50 reps of the following, and built up to 100 reps over the course of the trip:

1. one leg elevated fist pushups
2a & b. rear leg elevated split squats
3. pike (a seated, straight-leg raise)

Have fun!
Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #30159 by Atlas
I think DK's advice is pretty spot on. The only thing I would ad is a book recommendation: Complete Calisthenics by Ashley Kalym. This book was a revelation to me. Although I still lift weights; I have modified my gym routine to incorporate some of the ball breaking body weight moves in this book.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Atlas.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #30165 by feeny
I've used darebee.com/ to good effect.

Tweak the workouts accordingly, there are hundreds of no-apparatus-required workouts there. Some quite difficult!

I'll often just go down to the park, sometimes do the workout in the room etc - as there just isn't always access to a decent gym.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by feeny.

Latest Forum Topics