Cutting down a paddle

More
12 years 1 month ago #9725 by mickeyA
I have 3 bracsa paddles (#3, 4, & 8), 2 fixed length and one split shaft. They are all 215-218cm. I want a shorter paddle (~205cm). How easy is it to cut one down? If cutting split shaft, do you cut where connector is (female side), which will move connector off middle, or take both blades off and cut shafts equally? There are no surf ski shops anywhere nearby. Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rightarmbad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #9726 by mortenlinding
Hi Mickey
I think the best solution is to cut the shaft equally. If the blades are glued with hot glue. It´s easy to heat the joint up with at heat gun and remove the blades from the shaft. After that cut the desired lenght of the shaft and glue the blades on with hot glue.

Morten

Current ski: Carbonology Vault Hybrid 1. Gen / Nordic kayaks Storm / SS2 Carbonology Zest

More
12 years 1 month ago #9727 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Cutting down a paddle
I have done this a couple of times and it works well, .... but I struggle with getting the connection watertight. At least I get water in the fixed shaft.

It may be how I put on the hot glue. Any tricks of the trade here?

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #9728 by semdoug
Replied by semdoug on topic Re: Cutting down a paddle
I have done this several times and use epoxy instead of hot glue. Reheating also works with epoxy, just need to do it slowly and carefully. To get a good seal I apply probably a little too much epoxy on the inside of the work. I then position the work so the excess epoxy will run down into the area and fill any gaps. After it has cured I then put a sealer and smooth coat on the outside of the connection. No problems with water getting into the shaft.

The way you cut down the shaft will depend on blade/shaft connection. If this is a simple glued joint, it is easy. However, if it is a molded blade/shaft area you may have to cut at the connection. How easy that is will depend on the connection and ferrule, I have never tried that but think you would want to cut both sides equally. Though, I am not sure that would matter all that much.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by semdoug.

More
12 years 1 month ago #9731 by kiwial
Replied by kiwial on topic Re: Cutting down a paddle
to get a seal wit the hot glue I run a bead of glue around where the water can get in, then I tape over the join aswell

More
12 years 1 month ago #9732 by mortenlinding
Hi
When I glue a paddle with hot glue. The first thing I do is heating the blade and shaft with the heat gun. This will keep the glue at the melting point for longer time afte it is applied. That way you can work with the shaft in the blade, so the glue layer is even. At the end I apply a thin layer of glue on the edge of the blade(where the joint between the blade and shaft is).

Morten

Current ski: Carbonology Vault Hybrid 1. Gen / Nordic kayaks Storm / SS2 Carbonology Zest

More
12 years 1 month ago #9734 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: Cutting down a paddle
Maybe the glue on the final edge is what I´ve missed earlier. Thanks!

Latest Forum Topics