shorter boats for wind chop

More
13 years 9 months ago #5405 by zachhandler
Where I paddle in the central USA there are lakes but not oceans. When the wind blows hard there are waves, but they are steep and close together, which i think is quite different from ocean swell. I wonder if a shorter ski wouldn't be a better than a full 21 foot ski. I do notice a 17 ft ICF boat catches a small wave easier than a ski. Does anybody have any experience with this? Maybe a short rollable kayak like a wildwater boat?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #5407 by red_pepper
I can't see where a shorter ski would have much advantage in wind chop - I would think the period between the waves is too short for a few feet of length one way or the other to appreciably change the wave effects on a 17 - 21 ft boat. In my experience the lighter boats pick up the wind chop better (which may explain what you notice in an ICF boat).

In a couple of races this year, using either my V10L or my Thunderbolt, I've had a distinct advantage when the winds kicked up because I could blow through the waves that were giving fits to the racers in ICF boats. I'm sure much of it has do with hull designs in this class of boat that are oriented towards working waves - in either direction.

More
13 years 9 months ago #5413 by Rightarmbad
My very short 4.5m TK1 boats will pick up a ride on the wake of a tinny that I wouldn't even be think of considering on my ski.

Having said that, the way my ski cuts through those short little wind chop crap, makes the TK look pathetic with it's up and down bobbing motion.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics