Solution for lost hull vent tube

More
13 years 9 months ago #5389 by red_pepper
I'm sure others have noted the fairly loose fit of the factory vent tubes on Epic surf skis. They're generally held in place by a plastic ring on either side of the tube. The problem comes when a friend says "what's this" as he pulls the tube out of the cap and loses the inside ring. Oops! Faced with the loss of the tube, I had a moment of inspiration (much like with my 12 guage shotshell wad plug for the bailer) and noticed that the 3/32" silicone fuel line for model aircraft happens to be the correct size for a snug fit in the cap hole. I cut about an inch of the fuel line, worked it into the hole, and it works great! There's much more resistance to being pulled out than before, and being quite flexible it shouldn't get pushed in or knocked out very easily.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #5390 by red_pepper
Here's the tube installed.
Attachments:

More
13 years 9 months ago #5417 by Rightarmbad
How about using a longer piece and sliding a bit of wire inside to give it stiffness and then angling it to the bottom of the boat.
That way, when the ski is upside down in the water there will be no water ingress.
I may just try this myself, gotta funny feeling I have some of that tubing left over around here.
If not, there is a hobby shop around the corner.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 9 months ago #5418 by red_pepper
That would probably work, although the hole in the tubing is small enough the wire could potentially block the venting effects. Another way would be to wrap the wire around the outside of the part of the tube in the hule (or tape the wire to it to give it some stiffness). Personally, I doubt you would get any noticable amount of water through the tube if the boat is inverted(the small hole would vent air well, but restict water flow unless you had some suction inside the hull). I try to not leave my boat upside down long enough to worry about water entry. :)

Latest Forum Topics