bullet scuppers

More
13 years 7 months ago #5083 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Is that woven carbon over the solid polypropylene or hollow ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5084 by timforan
Replied by timforan on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Solid polyprop. This is a thermoplastic. Weighs 8 grams

More
13 years 7 months ago #5085 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Is there a method to the madnesss with the texture on the scuppers?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 7 months ago #5086 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:bullet scuppers
What adhesive is compatible with polyprop and boat gel coats?
J.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5087 by timforan
I just applied them with silicon. I dipped my finger in turps and rubbed a thin layer of silicon on the bottom of the bullet. Once in place I rubbed the edges of the bullet with turps so no silicon was visible. If your not happy with the position you can easily remove them with turps. Make sure you don't use acetone as this will strip the paint.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5218 by timforan
The bullets are smooth finished as shown in the pictures. They come in two sizes for the older smaller scuppers and newer larger scuppers.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by timforan.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5220 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Sorry ....but can I bug you all as I have been following this and even gone back to the original thread.

Is this just if you paddle in cold climates and dont want any water in the well ?

I have a Epic and actually took note last paddle back and couldnt really see to much water in there to worry me ( plus it was gurgling)

Could someone just give a quick over view on a scupper please.

Ta :unsure:

More
13 years 7 months ago #5221 by timforan
No it is to help drain the footwells quicker and improve water flow over the hull.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5225 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:bullet scuppers
I didn't think the bullets were designed to make the water drain more quickly. My understanding was that they decrease the drag from the scuppers, which allowed red 7 to have three scuppers instead of one. The increased drainage in the red 7 is because it has more holes in the bottom.
It may not improve your drainage, but you'll be slightly faster.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5226 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:bullet scuppers
They are absolutely designed to make the ski drain faster. There is the side effect that it decreases drag but on the purpose made scuppers, the holes are waaaay bigger and allow far faster draining.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5228 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Are there any bullet scuppers made for the stock Epic bailers? I would like to add one under my V10L for drag improvement (it drains fine as is), without having to grind off the current bailer. Before going that far with modifications, I would probably just install a canoe bailer as in the V12 and have a flush bottom.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5229 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Are we talking huuuuge drag reduction or .000001% try paddling a speccy during the week then go to a ocean ski on the weekend - its like christmas every time

More
13 years 7 months ago #5230 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:bullet scuppers
I'd have one for my V10 if it will empty the bucket completely and gurgle like a V12.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 7 months ago #5232 by timforan
No amount of pimping ones ski is going to improve performance that all of a sudden you are going to be beating the likes of Tim Jacobs or Adam Rowe's. I don't even know how people are able to compare skis on different days and say one is quicker than another by even doing the same course. Some days you feel flat while others you feel good.

Does it feel better overall (I'd say yes) but I am the one selling them. Could it be a state of mind thing - most probably.

Some people like to make modifications to their gear and I just happen to be able to supply one small piece that doesn't require to much modification.

At the end of the day, getting in and training harder and wiser will give you better results.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5233 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:bullet scuppers
I have a 2009 red7 pro with 3 bullets and the drainage was very poor (gurgled at 14kph, 3 cm water in the boat). Wayne at red 7 sent me 3 newer scupper hoods and the difference is awesome (dry boat, gurgles at 9kmh). In my opinion the bullets did bugger all for drainage. The shape of the scupper
has made all the difference.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5235 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:bullet scuppers
I took the double venturi drains off my old Millennium when changing it to single footwell. I added a single scupper instead, but I designed it too smooth, not enough drag on the scupper, so the boat would not drain well. Water would still be in the boat at 12kph, and I could not get it to gurgle except at very high sprint speeds. I formed up a bullet and it clears the cockpit around 11kph and gurgles around 13kph.

I need to mold a scupper that has a bit more volume to create a bit more pressure and the set up will be great. But I can say for sure that the bullet helped. I couldn't tell if it reduced drag by adding the bullet.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5236 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Re:bullet scuppers
While it’s true the amount of drag reduction/performance increase will be minimal (and hard to sort out from the "noise" in training runs), there’s still an opportunity to make some “free” gains with no drawbacks. Using Epic’s performance estimates for their different boat models as shown on Epic’s web site, it appears that moving from the V10 to the V12 nets about a 0.5% - 0.6% (.005 - .006) speed improvement for an intermediate paddler (and about a 1% improvement for an elite paddler). Assuming the bulk of that improvement is from the flush bailer, it stands to reason that a clean-up or removal of the fixed bailer on the V10 would yield something close to that number. On a 10 mile race, if you’re currently averaging 7 mph, a 0.5% performance improvement would equate to about 25 seconds (50 seconds over a 20 mile race). Even if that’s an optimistic assumption, it’s likely you could see at least a 30 second improvement on a 20 mile race. Not huge, and it certainly won’t turn you from an intermediate racer to an elite racer, but it could make a difference in placement on a close race. As speed increases, drag increases significantly, requiring a substantial increase in power for relatively modest increases in speed. Thus, every bit of drag reduction is welcome, regardless of paddling ability (most of us don't care to paddle with weeds on our rudder or leaves on the bow). Hence my interest in cleaning up the bailer on my V10L. :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #5259 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re:bullet scuppers
At $40 a pop you would want to be sure you glued them on nice and tight. :X

More
13 years 7 months ago #5261 by timforan
Draftbuster wrote:

At $40 a pop you would want to be sure you glued them on nice and tight. :X

Go back to your homemade ones then.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5262 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re:bullet scuppers
Go back to your homemade ones then.[/quote]

Sorry that you have taken offense to my comment im sure no one is going to begrudge anyone trying to make a dollar and if their prepared to put in the time and effort to fill a need then more credit to them.And if the product is as good as is advertised then even better.My thinking is more along the lines that I would need two bullet scuppers so that would be $80.Im sure you would agree that after market products may be excellent items but are only as good as the installation and application.Now I am thinking these bullet scuppers look the goods and $80 the pair is affordable as a one off.But the bottom of my boat is nice and shiny and regularly polished and I would be concerned that anything applied to the underside of my boat wont stay put for any extended time.Causing my concern of parting with my $80 for something that may spend the rest of its life on the bottom of the ocean.The quality validity or value of these scuppers isn't really a concern.Only my ability to glue them on nice and tight.

Latest Forum Topics