Paddle choice for a female beginner

More
2 years 11 months ago #38386 by SurfskiEstonia
Hello, guys, haven't asked anything for some time.

Thought I'd check with You prior to ordering. 

A beginner to surfski and paddling - a 29 year old female, 168cm, 60kg. Torso length is ca 72cm. Planning to paddle a CS Boost double together both in the front and back seat. The front seat catch is narrow (high angle possible) and the rear is over 50cm (so needs a possibility of a longer paddle to make a more horizontal catch).

Thinking of getting a Jantex Gamma Baby (600 cm2) with a 200-210 cm adjustable clamp Super flex (softest) shaft. The next size up for blades is Small minus (680 cm2) and the mid size that I use is 760 cm2, which I now know is large for me. Do You think this Baby size is too small for some reason? Has anyone had any experience with 600 cm2 blades for females or kids?

www.jantex.sk/products/surf-ski/gamma

Thanks in advance:)

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38393 by mrcharly
I don't think it will be too small. 

I'm using a gamma medium minus, which has 740cm2 blades I think. It is a bit big for me for surfski use.
Before I bought that, I used (in K1 races) a nameless club paddle that had smaller blades for teens - did alright with that.

Blade too big - overload your shoulders, reduced cadence rate (which isn't good for sprinting onto bumps).
Blade on small side - you need to get good at getting a catch. No other particular downsides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
2 years 11 months ago #38394 by SurfskiEstonia
Thank You very much! This is exactly the kind of info I was searching for :)

More
2 years 11 months ago #38396 by kwolfe
Also wouldn't discount the epic small mid.  Less blade surface in the water, oval shaft for easy indexing and lower twist blade.

I have an older gamma and an epic mid.  I do find the mid more forgiving.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38398 by mickeyA
Surface area can be misleading. My jantex gamma rio small plus is 720 sq cm.  It is noticeably stronger (more bite, more tiring) than my braca IV, which has more surface area.  Jantex is known for quality, strong grip, and shaft labels that apply to sprint kayakers, and less so surfski paddlers. My “soft” is anything but soft. Great paddle, though.  I also have used a Think Power Wing that I believe would fit her. I “think” they only come in one shape and size, so no long list of variables to decide on. Fairly inexpensive, too, though I see they may be out of stock.  Great quality, comfortable, light.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
2 years 11 months ago #38401 by waverider
I have a Jantex Super flex (softest) shaft, and its certainly not too soft for surfski. Better to end up with a blade on the small side rather than going too big, especially if you have to cover distance, or keep up your cadence to match someone else, as you would in a double

More
2 years 11 months ago #38403 by SurfskiEstonia
Thanks, guys!! I'm pretty set on the model (Gamma), shaft softness (Super flex) and length (200-210cm).

The only question is the blade size. It seems the 600 cm2 Baby is a kids' paddle blade size. Yet the next step up is already 680 cm2 with Small minus. My Gamma mid is a 760 cm2, which is 12% larger than the Small minus and a whopping 27% larger than the Baby. That's my main concern that the 12% difference is not significant enough, while the 27% difference seems a bit scary :D

Last summer I had a 5 week training with a coach in a K1, where I felt that my paddle was too big for me. I also feel that in downwinds after paddling for an hour or so, that when the wave passes under me, the initial acceleration on the following wave is quite hard during the first 2-3 strokes (but this maybe a paddle shaft hardness issue). So, having that experience I'm trying to make a more informed choice.

I wonder if any of You here, who may read this thread, has had first hand experience with a 600 cm2 blades (I do understand that the shape dictates a lot as well, but still).

More
2 years 11 months ago #38406 by mrcharly
A gamma mid is a big blade! Are you doing sprint K1?
I've paddled with one - every stroke felt like paddle was set in concrete. 
If you can paddle with that, I think you'd be ok with a 680.

I'm going to add a disclaimer - I'm struggling with 'getting on the bump', see  www.surfski.info/forum/15-tips/20089-cat...g-bigger-swells.html
Seems to me that timing, and selecting the bump make a huge difference. 
There is a vid on that thread of Oscar cruising it at 16kph average, hardly seeming to make an effort.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38418 by MMaister
It is depending on who do you talk to, and even ongoing trends.
The K1 folk will tell you to go big and the surfski to go small:)
I agree that if you managed with a 760cm2 over an hour then a 600cm2 may feel like a baby size and 680cm2 sounds like a winner.

Latest Forum Topics