Appropriate paddle to take out first time paddlers in a double ski

More
3 years 9 months ago #36888 by SurfskiEstonia
Hi, guys!

Wanted to ask for advice, what paddles (or more generally blade shapes) to consider for this. Should be getting a Carbonology Boost double soon. Planning to take out total beginners in different athletic shape, both male and female. I remember my first experience with a wing blade shape - it was impossible to put any effective strokes in. I'd like to get something that beginners could use to participate in the paddling action when we try to accelerate onto a wave. Would a flat blade shape be a better idea here?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36892 by mrcharly
I think using wings to start with is fine. It takes quite a bit of adaption to switch from flat to wings; reflexes are all wrong.

My club runs several introduction to racing courses a year. We start everyone on wings, in stable boats. No problems.

There are some blades that are easier than others; Epic, jantex gamma rio, gara odin.  Some other blades are v good for forward strokes but a bit awkward for braces and draws. I'd avoid those.

Go small with blade size. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #36893 by SurfskiEstonia
Thanks a lot for the reply:) I will definitely go for a smaller size than I paddle now (gamma mid) - a mid minus or small. But I think most beginners (95%) that will try to sit in a double with me, won't become paddlers and won't have more encounters with paddling than 2-3 times per year. Is it still a good idea to go for a wing? My main concern is that participating in active paddling requires high cadence and imo it's almost impossible to achieve with a wing without prior experience... :|

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by SurfskiEstonia.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36894 by CrabStick
For first time paddlers there is no way they will be able to paddle a high cadence. I've only been in back seat of a double twice. Faster than my normal cadence the first time was hopeless even though I was already gaining competence in a single. Second time was easy and fun with a very experienced paddler at slow cadence. He had a simple signalling system to avoid shouting instructions eg lift and hold the blade up for a second on the side about to take a stoke on. Practice stroke and brace together before getting in waves.
You could watch a Boyan video and copy his slow stroke rate to help the beginner to actively enjoy it.

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
3 years 9 months ago #36895 by SurfskiEstonia
Thanks a lot for this info!! This signaling system sounds very reasonable!

Regarding cadence, my goal is not to make total beginners work hard for me:), but to enable them to participate. The slow cadence approach may work with paddlers under 70kg or so.. as I weigh 85kg  at 183 cm and am not powerful enough to carry someone along in a double for long - at least it seems so now :)

More
3 years 9 months ago #36896 by mrcharly
power and technique before cadence

If your paddlers are thrashing away at the water, they won't be efficient with asymmetrics or wings.  Much, much better to teach them a considered stroke .... stroke ... stroke

I think a gamma medium minus is too large for a beginner, unless they are strong. A medium minus is 740cm2. An epic mid wing is 750, but the gamma rio has a harder catch. Jantex recommend that size for 'surf ski men'.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36897 by SurfskiEstonia

mrcharly wrote: I think a gamma medium minus is too large for a beginner, unless they are strong. A medium minus is 740cm2. An epic mid wing is 750, but the gamma rio has a harder catch. Jantex recommend that size for 'surf ski men'.

To be honest, I'm now considering two paths - either a designated paddle for beginners - either flat or parallel blade aiming at around 200-250 eur; or a new paddle for myself - a Gamma Rio Small at 450 eur. If going for the latter, I will give them my current Gamma Mid, as it doesn't make much difference anyway which paddle they hold in their hands, if they don't actively participate in the paddling process anyway. If going the first route, I'd prefer a flat blade that would simply give them one less thing to worry about while already being stressed about being among waves offshore :) 

Latest Forum Topics