Airline transportation of paddle

More
6 years 3 months ago #30721 by nwsurfskier
What's the recommended way to airline travel with your paddle? I've always just rented a paddle at my destination in the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30722 by mickeyA
This came up last year, I think I may have actually started it. Search for it as there were lots of answers. My solution for a two piece paddle is a $35 hard plastic Plano shotgun case. Walmart.com or amazon. Mine is 51.5”x4”x15” exterior. Southwest Airlines to Oregon last year did not charge me, though technically it may have been slightly longer than their limit of a regular piece of luggage. Certainly smaller than golf club bags you see being checked. Ultimate protection, though there may be less bulky alternatives.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: nwsurfskier

More
6 years 3 months ago #30727 by jazzman
I'm guessing you don't want to go the way of a custom bag? Mocke , Vaikobi and Ocean Paddler ( there may be more , just the only ones I know of) make bags specifically designed for transporting 2 piece paddles. They tend to have multiple compartments to take all your paddling gear if needed. I flew from NZ to Capetown last year to do one of the downwind camps with the Mockes, used one of the Mocke bags. Paddles arrived with no damage at all ( multiple flights both ways). Airlines just treated the bag as oversized but no hassles. If just carting a paddle, these bags may be overkill but if taking gear, they work well.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30733 by davgdavg
A sturdy cardboard box. The bags are meant for carrying I think, not for airline travel. The airlines have a particular gift for Murphy's law, so I'd rather not risk something heavy crushing the blades or possibly even shaft.

Latest Forum Topics