Shaft length vs. paddle length

More
11 years 10 months ago #13010 by kemi
Just got a Epic midwing 205-215 and was surprised to see that the shaft is actually longer then my old Epic midwing 210-220. The hole reason for buying a shorter paddle, was to get a shorter shaft. There is a rule that say that you should grip one to two hands away from the blade and that has to be combined with the 90 degree rule. Shoulder width is between 36-44 cm, so I would think that the shaft length would be rather important. But is it just me ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #13012 by Wally
It is impossible for an Epic Mid wing 205-215 shaft to be longer than a 210-220. Join the paddles together to its smallest length and measure overall length, this will tell you what paddle you have bought, or have been sold!
As for hand positioning on the shaft, put the paddle on your head parallel to the ground and make sure you elbows are at right angles.

More
11 years 10 months ago #13015 by seamonkey
I believe the length is measured from blade tip to tip.

A friend who used to sell Lendal paddles, made me up two custom PowerMaster crankshaft paddles. For surfing 205cm, touring 220cm. The surf paddle was the shortest it could be cut, while allowing the blade to plug into the shaft, without interfering with the crank handle. I just measured, and checked my hand positions, yes two palm widths from the blade.

I'm going to buy a Epic Mid-Wing tomorrow. Which blade size did you settle on? I'm thinking Mid-Wing, but the retailer suggests Small-Mid-Wing. I'm not sprinting or racing, but I'm used to large blade faces. So many choices, so little money.....

Cheers!

Rainer Lang

Rainer Lang

Seeking balance

More
11 years 10 months ago #13017 by kemi

Wally wrote: It is impossible for an Epic Mid wing 205-215 shaft to be longer than a 210-220.

Well one would think so. I did do a quick compare of the blades. The older blades are longer. Both the old and the new should be 750 cm2

More
11 years 10 months ago #13023 by Rightarmbad
One may be a mid large wing.

A midlarge wing in 205 is the same shaft as a mid in a 210cm.
The blades are 2.5cm longer on the midlarge.

As for wives tales about where to hold the paddle, just that.
You will find your own natural arm width.

How close can you hold the shaft to the paddle?
With my current extreme short experimenting, the outside of my hands are only 4 cm from the beginning of the blade.

Paddle length is all about gearing, as in setting your cadence, and has an inverse relationship to your height and reach.

At 200cm paddle length, my cadence is the same as my shorter partner at 214cm.
I can quite happily paddle down to 195cm and if struggling upwind, this length feels magical.

I'll stir the pot again on this issue and outright state that every paddle formula out there is bunk.

The only thing that matters is that the length that you use with the shape of blade you use brings you into your paddling cadence window that is efficient for you.

For me being tall with a shorter body and longer limbs, my paddle is very short.
The sweet spot for me is appearing to be 197 to 205, depending on conditions.

195 is great if you are bashing upwind at 8kph.
197 has a more solid catch, catches runners well, but can spin out on continuous flat water grinding.
200 is a good all rounder. good acceleration and still good on the flat.
205 works well if it's fast downwind with easily linkable runners.

At the moment I am liking just leaving it on 200 for everything as I know it is not far from the best in most conditions.

These lengths refer only to the particular paddle shape that I am using.

But for sure:
Paddling along at 40rpm is NOT efficient in any conditions.

Getting he correct paddle length will enable you to do a full length stroke at your efficient cadence.

In the end, that is all that matters.
Your technique will not look the same as the next person, as differing body shapes using a differing paddle length will just look different, but what matters is that the paddle is facing the forces in the right direction in the water and turning over at a speed that suits your own physiology.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 10 months ago #13025 by kemi

Rightarmbad wrote: One may be a mid large wing.

A midlarge wing in 205 is the same shaft as a mid in a 210cm.
The blades are 2.5cm longer on the midlarge.

The new midwing length is 50 cm and the old one(4 years) 53 cm. The old one has a slimmer blade as far as I can tell. Both have the same feel.

Rightarmbad wrote: One may be a mid large wing.

How close can you hold the shaft to the paddle?

Around 18 cm. I'll have the paddle shop cut it down or give me a crash course in how to. Thanks for the advice :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #13028 by latman
I have never heard of any "rule" as to your hand placement on the paddle shaft and the "90deg elbow bend rule is only a generalization applied to zero experience paddlers in rental groups"

most experienced paddlers use less than 90deg in my experience.

Latest Forum Topics