Re: Storage Hatches

More
16 years 5 months ago #1241 by stuartknaggs
A well placed hatch shouldn't weaken the ski, but are you sure you want your safety items on the ski and not on your body?

Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #1242 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: Storage Hatches
I second the comments of x-Pat. I'm all for keeping safety equipment on the body. The velcro on an ankle leash will rip open with enough force (actually it doesn't take all that much force). If you paddle alone, its better to have your cell phone and strobe/flares on your body where you can get at them.
Use the hatch for a hydration system. Jude has some great ideas on his website.
www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=innovations
Cheers
Sean

More
16 years 5 months ago #1243 by richards
Replied by richards on topic Re: Storage Hatches
Stuart /Sean,
Thanks for your input,
I agree with the points you make and will not use the storage for safety critical items. However some storage could be useful, especially when training rather than racing, I be interested to hear where people feel the best place to fit the hatch is without weakening the structure of the and how this is achieved. The Huki link site seems to show a centreline fixing, my ski has a central stringer, if this is cut into I assume the strength will be compromised ?
Or maybe deck lines are a better way of allowing for some kit ?
I appreciate your thoughts guys.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1244 by NigelWall
Replied by NigelWall on topic Re: Storage Hatches
My Huki has a 4" hatch which I have adapted for hydration. Yes it's on the centreline as the Huki doesn't have stringers. It carries a bladder with 3l fluid. As a novice my safety stuff is well and truly secured in my PFD!

One of our paddlers put in a 4" hatch on the centreline of his Red7. He cut the foam stiffener and glassed over it once the hatch was done. Probably stonger than the original. I'll see if he took any pics..

More
16 years 4 months ago #1245 by richards
Replied by richards on topic Re: Storage Hatches
Thanks Trinpad, would love to see how other people have sorted this, photos would be great. ;D

Latest Forum Topics