× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Numb Feet / Legs

More
12 years 1 month ago #10630 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
Next ski I get I'll do a picture tutorial on making your own custom seat that you can sit on all day without pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10631 by Pirroo
Replied by Pirroo on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
sounds great but I got to wonder when that might be? hah

More
12 years 1 month ago #10632 by Pirroo
Replied by Pirroo on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
sweet az. How does the kani seat pad go in terms of comfort and leg numbess for you

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10633 by wags
Replied by wags on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
...for me the result wasn't instant. Not sure why that is. Took about a month to get used to it and can now paddle 90 mins without numbness in my left leg.
Guess what I'm saying is I'm not absolutely sure if it's the seat pad or some other factor....

I do appear to be a little lopsided in my seat leaning somewhat to the LHS (so I'm told). In my Huki S1-R, which is where I have the seatpad, I don't notice it, probably due to it's level of stability, but on my V12U I definitely notice it to the point where it's a thorn in my side. Getting back to the point I did wonder if that's why I was getting the numbness, however, I don't suffer from it in the V12 which doesn't have a seat pad.(work that out)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by wags.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10634 by Kayaker Greg
Could be worth getting checked out by an osteopath for the lop sided paddling. It was pointed out I was doing the same thing, osteopath saw straight away my hips were out of balance, treated it once, gave some stretches to do, on the return visit I was 90% better.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10636 by wags
Replied by wags on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
...interesting. I'll check it out. Did you find it improved the lopsidedeness ?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10637 by Kayaker Greg
Well I couldn't even tell I was lopsided. But it was pointed out that my ski was tilted slightly to one side and my head was tilted slightly to compensate. Sometimes my ski would randomly veer off to the opposite side and I couldn't figure out why. Then it became clear why. I still stretch my sacro region nightly. Google Sacro wedgy. Don't laugh but I made one and it really helps. Somedays I still veer off but I'm not the most stable in my ski somedays as I divide my time between ski's and kayaks. When I do 3-4 days in the ski I'm ok.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10638 by Kneewall49
Replied by Kneewall49 on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
Make your own, it's very simple and you can play around till your happy, ie it's perfect.

You can also experiment with veloco temporay and adjustable mounting rather than the permanent or one-off-use of the shelf versions.

Get down to your rubber sheet supplier and get a couple of different thickness, and densities and experiment till you find a good shape, height, position and size.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10650 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: Numb Feet / Legs
This post may be addressing the problem in a completely different direction than what everyone else has posted, but here goes...

I've paddled a few skis here and there, other than my V12, and never have experienced any numbness or tingling at all in my paddling career. Maybe I’m blessed in this regard. Perhaps it’s from all the running, speed skating, leg resistance training and stretching that I do as part of my cross training regimen. As a result, I’ve plenty of firm padding back there, and it seems to be beneficial in more ways in addition to grinding in tight skis. Possibly, the resultant venous system in the legs allow better circulation, as well as the more robust sheathing of the nervous system due to the leg workouts. I don’t know.

I also make a concerted effort to constantly rotate my arse in the seat. This may have the added benefit of messaging the tissues surrounding the nervous and venous systems. Padding the seat would have the negative effect of adding much more friction to the rotation that is required for good power transfer.

I do not pad my V12 seat. But I do wax it often to allow smooth, easy rotation. Heavy multi-chop conditions and added water under the bum do make it feel slippery at first, though that feeling fades away within a few moments of hard paddling. After that, the sensation is of a proper looseness and ease of rotation. As the wax wears thin after a few sessions, I get the feeling like I’m stuck in the boat, and the boat is stuck to the water. Like I’m paddling through sticky glue. Rewaxxing the seat fixes that.

As the E-V12-U ages (now about 8 months old from Epic) the weave of the underlying fabrics have become more and more noticeable. One month after purchasing the boat, I wet-sanded the hull to a 800 grit surface, which erased all print-through. Recently, I undertook the task of doing the same to the seat as it was getting quite rough from the gradually increasing print-through. The sanding from 200 through 1200-grit and compound buffing help substantially with ease of rotation. And I don’t get sensations as if I’m about to slip out of the boat in heavy weather.

Yes, a completely different tack of view.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by DougMar.

Latest Forum Topics