× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Double remount

More
15 years 6 months ago #2512 by [email protected]
Question from Ed Gifford:

I was wondering what the proper procedure is to remount a double ski? There must be some sort of concerted effort involved. Please help.
Thank you for all your hard work on the site.
Edward Gifford
Toms River, NJ USA

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2513 by [email protected]
Others with more experience will no doubt reply, but my take on it would be:

Front guy holds the ski steady while rear paddler remounts. Once the back guy is in, he can steady the ship with legs out perhaps, while the driver gets back in.

Why the back guy first? So he can see what's happening as the driver gets back in.

Anyone else?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 6 months ago #2514 by txbuckeye
Replied by txbuckeye on topic Re:Double remount
I agree with you Rob. That seems to be the sequence my wife and I have used and it's worked well.

• Txski
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #2515 by Txski
Replied by Txski on topic Re:Double remount
Hey......I thought this was a family content site only.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2517 by giff06
Replied by giff06 on topic Re:Double remount
Thank you all for your replys. What else comes to mind is do you side sadddle or straddle for the front person to remount? My wife seems concerned that I will kick her in the face if I try to straddle remount. Thanks again.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2518 by txbuckeye
Replied by txbuckeye on topic Re:Double remount
I prefer side saddle myself. Not sure if there is any real advantage to it over the straddle method. You might try it several different ways and see what's most effective/comfortable for the both of you.

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #2522 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Double remount
Again, I must defer to others with more experience, but I prefer to have the driver mount first. That way he has better control of the ski, especially in breakers, to keep it heading in the desired direction - even paddling slowly forwards as the engine remounts. Also this way there is nobody in the way of anyone's legs if they are doing a straddle mount.

I'm sure the first person in could mount side saddle but the second in should surely mount straddle or risk throwing the first back in.

Most important is to practise it and develop a drill that works well for you.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2525 by hukigirl
Replied by hukigirl on topic Re:Double remount
My male doubles partner Larry is much taller and heavier than myself. We found the best method to remount was first of all to get on opposite sides of the ski and hang on next to the cockpit you are getting into. This made it much easier for me to hold the ski and counter balance for him as his weight was pulling it over to his side. We get in side saddle and rear person first.

Kathleen

Latest Forum Topics