× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Stellar Steering line

More
5 years 9 months ago #31700 by M.v.E.
Stellar Steering line was created by M.v.E.
I have an 1. Gen. Stellar SR which is my boat of choice when it´s getting rough but I am not so happy with the spongy feel of the steering . I replaced the steering lines a while ago and I am now using the slick yellow lines (dyneema ?) but it made no difference . Should I try steal cables instead ? Or is the steering line not the reason for this problem ? Any suggestions ?

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #31701 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Stellar Steering line
Having had a G1 and G2 among other stellar I will throw in my two bits. Do your self a favor and ditch the braded rudder lines and get some Q-Power kite line. It will give you better rudder feel and slide easer. I love the stuff but it is susceptible to wear if the leads aren’t good and the tube ends not flared. Im dealing with that in two stellar skis now. But it feels great so I’m happy with it.

Second... do yourself a HUGE favor and ditch the stellar rudder and get a proper downwind rudder. Putting on a DK 9” downwind rudder makes a profound difference to how the ski handles and rudder feel. Seriously, it is transformative in a real downwind and it will be like having a new ski. Even a DK 35° weedless is a better rudder than the setellar 8”.. it’s atrocious. Their downwind rudder is just as bad. I have no idea why basically everone has lousy rudders. With a DK downwind rudder you will be able to surf at off angles much much better, won’t broch, will have much more power and much quicker response and precision. It will get rid of the vague mushy input and make everything much more crisp and instant.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Newbflat.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31704 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Stellar Steering line
Credit where credit`s due: Had my Stellar SEi for 18 months now. In that time she`s had about 200 outings and something like 2,000+ km of paddling. The steering line is still the original and shows no signs of fraying or degrading whatsoever.

Paddled yesterday with my DK 6"er in two foot downwind and the steering worked perfectly in getting me where I wanted to go. If the steering feels spongey, then maybe the best answer might be to spend more time in the boat getting used to it. Just my opinion.

Happy paddling all.

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
5 years 9 months ago #31705 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Stellar Steering line
The spongy feel to the early stellars was twofold. The early rudders had the rudder post on the leading edge of the post. This made the boats wander all over the ocean. At speed they are impossible to get to turn. The rudder line also slips through the pedals. Tie a knot or loop the rudder line twice around the pedal to stop it slipping. When you push the pedal the line just slips through the holes and effectively gives you bugger all steering. Get someone to hold the rudder and push the pedals. See if it slips. I'm certain your problems will be one or the other.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31709 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Stellar Steering line
Thanks for all your tips ! Newbflat: I was considering to get a DK rudder since there were so many good reviews on this forum. I have to check if Don will send them to Germany and how much it will cost.

Owen: I have an 1. Gen. SEI as well and with that boat I have no issues with the steering lines but in proper downwind conditions I still prefer the more stable SR.

Dicko: I have an old SR but the rudder post is not on the edge of the rudder. Good advice regarding the slip of the rudder line through the pedals. That might be part of the problem. I will try to fix that.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

Latest Forum Topics