× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Newbie question on running down wind and bailer

More
7 years 2 months ago #28024 by Dlrjr69
After 6 months of flat water paddling my new Epic V5 I had the opportunity to make a 2mile run down the bay with about 8 knot wind behind. I felt like I handled the waves pretty good. I did take some water down into the well to the point where she became sluggish and needed to empty, which I was able to do. My question, do you attempt to, or is it possible when on a good run to leave the bailer open? Should you be able to run fast enough to have a constant emptying? Or will I get to comfort level of being able to reach down and flip it and close it later all while surfing the waves? Thank you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #28028 by [email protected]
Definitely leave the bailer open on a downwind run!

I tend to close the bailer on flat water and only open it when needed - but in waves I always leave it open.

I suspect that the difference in drag is so marginal that it's more a mental drawback than anything real - unless you're an elite paddler!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dlrjr69

More
7 years 2 months ago #28029 by kevin brunette
You should be able to open and close the bailer quite easily with a foot so as not to interrupt your stroke.

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dlrjr69

Latest Forum Topics