Paddling footwear?

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6268 by AR_convert
My old dive booties have finally given up, and I'm glad, they weren't really ideal for the task of ski paddling and were a pain to get under the straps when remounting after a swim.

Looking around I think the Vibram 5 finger shoes/booties look like a suitable replacement for the upcoming winter paddling.

What do others wear/recommend?

P.S - Sorry for the Category mistake Rob!

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by AR_convert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6271 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
Five fingies are awesome ! , got the KSO model and they work great. Contrary to the nameKSO (keep shit out) they will get some sand in them in a beach break(what won't ?)thin enough sole to have really good pedal feel. I still can't quite see the trail running thing in these "shoes" but for the water they are great.Mine are going on two years and not falling apart yet and they don't smell anywhere near as bad as the NRS neoslippers did !

More
13 years 2 months ago #6273 by Perth ski chick
Bare feet and a good dose of HTFU. :P

More
13 years 2 months ago #6274 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
well said! :laugh:

More
13 years 2 months ago #6277 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
Yep, bare feet here.

What do you feel is the requirement for shoes or the like?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6283 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
Thanks Di & Adam :dry: knew I could count on some locals to be helpful :S

During the winter when I head down to the beach from my place it's a 200m walk and the feet get cold, add some cold water and around an hour of paddling and they are near frozen when i get back, then I walk on my numb feet home carrying the boat.

On some occassions the windchill is painfull on my feet, this tends to be when estuary paddling in Mandurah.....I guess if you dont paddle first thing in the morning here in Perth you wouldnt experience this but most of the paddlers I've trained with through winter have had booties on or if not have complained of the cold.

The surf club guys would complain they were even worse off with the spec ski aluminium rudder peddles that would drain the heat out of thier feet

Now that you have all established that you are Hard
%&#$ers anyone else got any suggestions?

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6284 by Rightarmbad
Neoprene booties.
Cheap and warm.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 2 months ago #6286 by mckengmsurfski
I have a pair of Patagonia R3 neoprene booties that I wear in colder weather. They're well made, fit me great, and are not as big and bulky, nor as heavy, as my old NRS neoprene booties, so they're much easier to get in and out of the bucket/footstrap. They also come up over my ankles and help keep them warm as well. They cost a bit more than some of the cheaper neoprene booties, but for me, were worth the extra $20.
I've not tried the winter version of the 5 fingers, but I have the lightest version they make that I wear in warmer weather and, other than getting them on initially, they are great.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6287 by jsowers
Replied by jsowers on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
I have used the old style of the NRS desperado for > 10 years. They have held up well for me, and are low profile. Sole is thinner on the old style, haven't tried the newer type. www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=23021&pdeptid=1169
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by jsowers.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #6295 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
Lots of very sharp volcanic rocks and reefs with very few sandy beaches. NRS old style low profile booties.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6298 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
not to mention jagged shards of glass and hypodermic needles !

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 month ago #6302 by AR_convert
Actually now that you mention reef, one of my paddling buddies a couple of years ago holed his V10 after the rudder struck a shallow reef and while not breaking the rudder the shaft flexed enough to punch a hole in the bottom of his boat with the trailing edge of the rudder. Being about 1 km offshore he headed straight for the beach before the boat took on too much water, in doing so he had to navigate a lot of reef.

In my area there is a lot of reef and should this happen to me I dont fancy having to walk my boat over a reef bare foot.

I have been looking into the Vibram 5 finger shoes....bloody expensive...anyone found anything similar without the heavy pricetag thats not a fake chinese vibram lookalike.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6303 by Rightarmbad
If it is just for paddling, get the cheap Chinese knock off.

Five Fingers pricing in Australia is absolutely ridiculous.
If the importer wants to charge like that, then buy the copies.
If he's stupid enough to price himself out of the market, let him die the death he deserves and learn a lesson.

Not only does it make it expensive for us consumers, but the retailer cannot stock a range of sizes and models so it is impossible for me to walk into a shop and buy a pair without special ordering.

So buy the Chinese knockoff in my opinion, the importer deserves it.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 month ago #6304 by AR_convert
Spot on RAB ;)

I was looking at the Vibram site which I forgot was in the US and saw the KSO for $90, I thought, "thats reasonable", then realised it was US dollars...same shoe here $179 :ohmy:

More
13 years 1 month ago #6305 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
I've got Solution Bomber booties: paid ~$65 (AUD), but available online for ~$50.

Because they've got an adjustable velcro strap across the arch of the foot they are very versatile for either summer (eg: rocky/reef landings or wherever you need foot protection) or winter (they can expand enough to wear neoprene socks underneath for added warmth).

Hope this helps.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6306 by rubberDuck
Replied by rubberDuck on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
I got some cheap neoprene booties. Was R300 (about USD 40). It safed my feet this weekend. We surf some waves close to a reef. I made a mistake and my boat hit one of the rocks head on. I obviously fell out and had to manage the reef to get to the boat. The boat had minor damage around the nose but my feet was fine. I only got a few scrathes on the legs.

If you paddle around reefs, get some, even if they be cheap. You never know when you have to walk the reefs.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #10327 by ilcentaurorosso

Sandy wrote: Five fingies are awesome ! , got the KSO model and they work great...

I agree, Vibram FiveFingers KSO model is great. Street price is 90 euro around in Italy (manufacturer is an italian company).
To have a warmer shoe, add also FLOW model to your kit.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #10330 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re: Paddling footwear?
another vote for the KSO five finger. I walk about 300m to the beach with shells; across roads and rough path. They work great. They don't necessarily keep your feet warm like neoprene socks/boots would, but they are better than nothing, and much better when carrying your boat.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #10331 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re:Paddling footwear?
I bit the Bullet and got the Vibram trek Sport, theory was if I am going to lash out that much i may as well get something durable. They give a much better feel than other water shoes on the rudder and have pretty good grip underneath. I have even run in them a couple of times and am really surprised at how good it felt.

Close your eyes, whip out the card and you won't look back.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #10332 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: Paddling footwear?
FWIW - I own Vibram 5 finger KSO booties and this is what I found:

1. If you have a single strap over your footboards then they work fine. BUT, if you have two footstraps (one for each foot) and they are anything other than (worthlessly) loose, then these are a PITA to get into/out of.
2. Sand still gets into them - making them no better that sandals.

I just ordered neoprene Hydroskin socks from OutdoorPlay.com to give me some warmth, a bit of protection, and an easier time getting my feet in and out of footstraps.

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

Latest Forum Topics