Re: Being Prepared

More
15 years 10 months ago #2129 by rojo
Re: Being Prepared was created by rojo
Hi John,
could you make the attachement a PDF or post the text directly? There might be quite a few people out there, including me, who are not able or willing to open MS Word documents from the web because of security concerns.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2130 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re: Being Prepared
Hi RoJo

Thanks for that. See the new file.

Cheers
John

More
15 years 9 months ago #2131 by mangokayaker
Replied by mangokayaker on topic Re: Being Prepared
There is a brand new device on the market called the spot messenger I purchased one just before I departed on a Tasmanian expedition and it came in real handy . On the west coast I was picked up by one of those waves you see in extreme surfing videos and slammed so hard that I couldn't recall what happened until I eventually resurfaced and then came the ordeal of a failed self rescue and ensuing rescue . see www.findmespot.com and check up on this remarkable device. I won't go paddling without it !

More
15 years 9 months ago #2132 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: Being Prepared
Nice, pity they won't be selling many in SA.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2133 by Tommy
Replied by Tommy on topic Re: Being Prepared
There are GPS enabled satellite EPIRBs that send a unique code identifier so rescuers know where, who and what to search to search for. These do not have an annual fee like the SPOT. DSC digital selective calling marine VHF radios also can send a coded GPS position, but satellite coverage may not be in your area. You would have to resend a distress call to show a new position if you were drifting.( You may not know that you're drifting without a land reference)

re ANAPHYLACTIC shock in original MS Word doc; Would a plastic airway be of value for a victim who was not vomiting, but unconscious and having trouble breathing?

More
15 years 9 months ago #2134 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Being Prepared
I believe you are refering to an oropharangyl (SP, Sorry) airway and the tricks are weather or not you have the right size, are you trained to insert it and can you given the degree of swelling from the anaphalaxis. All great stuff to think about, maybe take an advanced wilderness first aid course and get the info to answer this query. Another possibility is sub-lingual benedryl and again most important is the TRAINING !

More
15 years 9 months ago #2135 by Tommy
Replied by Tommy on topic Re: Being Prepared
Just received my West Marine brochure, and SPOT does not have satellite coverage in South Africa.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2136 by [email protected]

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics