Wetsuit thickness for winter paddling?

More
1 year 6 months ago #40152 by mrcharly
"the world is divided into two sorts of people; those who pee in wetsuits, and those who lie"

Keeping wrists and kidneys warm helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #40153 by Arcturus
Wetsuits can get smelly enough without adding pee that so far, I’ve stayed in the No Pee camp.

Revivex wetsuit/drysuit cleaner works well. I suppose a day will come when I need to test its effectiveness on peed-in neoprene.

At least a ski is easy to wash out after peeing in the cockpit!

More
1 year 4 months ago #40199 by wombat661
Two piece wetsuit is not as warm, but easy to relief yourself sitting off the side. Problem with peeing in the wetsuit is the pee will stay with you for the rest of the trip.

More
1 year 4 months ago #40201 by zachhandler

Problem with peeing in the wetsuit is the pee will stay with you for the rest of the trip.

I think the difference is that I don’t mind paddling in my own pee. Urine is sterile. Smells bad if its left in there to dry but my suit flushes enough during the paddle that its not an issue. If i pee myself towards the end of a paddle then I rinse the suit in a bucket. But unto each there own. And I do actually agree with you a bit on this. I have started lapping the leg cuff of the wet suit over rather than under the bootie. That way I am not paddling with a bootie full of pee. Which sterile or not I don't quite enjoy as much.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #40202 by LaPerouseBay

We did a cold downwind with a friend who inadvertently burped their dry suit and when a bit of cold water leaked in they refused to put their feet back in the boat for the rest of the paddle for fear of falling in again.
That sounds like something I'd do. But not after listening to these doctors talk about where we transfer heat the quickest. I had no idea.
I grew up about 15 miles south of Lake Michigan, but only pond hockey in the winter.
Jump ahead to 1:04:40, if youtube is refusing to.

downwind dilettante
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by LaPerouseBay. Reason: youtube
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
1 year 4 months ago #40207 by tve
Yes, that cold exposure stuff is very interesting. I was wondering about putting a thin layer of aluminium on my foot pedals to conduct cold from the water at bottom of the footwell :-). But that's for hot weather... I now stick booties into the back of my PFD for "just in case" and am looking for some thin thermal gloves to add...

Latest Forum Topics