Seat pads

More
2 years 10 months ago #38538 by CleaverX
Seat pads was created by CleaverX
Sorry if this is an old subject and has already been covered, but either through cluelessness  or plain bad karma, I was unable to find any related threads.
I am currently paddling a late gen Ion and I am looking for suggestions about seat pads or seat pad materials, which will provide some comfort, and a slippery surface to allow proper twist.
Feel free to plug your preferred commercial product, or your super secret combinations (sponge + plastic bags), for the win, all recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38541 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Seat pads
I used the Gel seatpads from Skwoosh for many years in my Stellar Surfskis. They are quite thin so that they won´t affect the stability. Since I got my Nelo Surfski I am comfortable without a seatpad.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #38542 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Seat pads
After enduring nearly all of last year (my first with a surf ski) “bareback”, I put in an OceanPaddlesports 1/4” thick pad and really like it. The dense, firm foam is enclosed in a 4-panel nylon cover that conforms to the bucket of my Nelo 520 S. It came with a strong sticky backing that is holding up so far.

Before that pad, I had developed what must have been bursitis of the sit bone area. Bad enough I had to keep taking butt breaks. Some tweaking of my footbrace position and other ergonomic experimenting helped, but once those two bursa were inflamed, even trying a used Epic pad that MCImes kindly sent me didn’t solve the problem. When I swapped it for the OceanPaddlesports one, that felt better, but I knew the real test would come this spring. The yearly forced time off from paddling (winter, hard water) gave the butt time to recover.

Verdict:  This pad is a keeper. VERY glad I bought it! No need for butt breaks at all now, no pain, and my wetsuit slides well enough on it. Just be sure where you want to stick it. I somehow got lucky with where I installed it—no complaints. Stability in this ski was ample bareback AND still is.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Arcturus.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38544 by CleaverX
Replied by CleaverX on topic Seat pads
Thanks!

More
2 years 10 months ago #38545 by CleaverX
Replied by CleaverX on topic Seat pads

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #38546 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Seat pads
Yes, that is the pad, designed by someone named Lincke.

The Velcro strips allow some adjustment, but the male Velcro strips on the underside of the pad means that if you really mess up placement of the female strips, the barbs will be on the gelcoat or whatever. So you want to get it as close to perfect as you can.

I had a good idea where the pad should go and just left both male and female strips ON the pad, peeled off the sticky backing, and put it down. You could also put the pad down with the backing still on, sit inside and see where you want it, and outline around the pad edges with a china pencil.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Arcturus.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38548 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Seat pads
I use yellow Skwoosh pad in my 18x. It has a hard racing seat and the pad works well in that boat.
However, when I tried in a SES, I couldn't paddle due to lack of balance, which was surprising because i wasn't too unbalanced without the pad. I am sure if you have a little bit of margin balance-wise it would be ok.

Latest Forum Topics