Most stable SLSA Spec Ski?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14482 by swifty
Hi all

I know this is a bit of a subjective question, but is there a brand and model of local spec ski that is considered by most as "the most stable" or "the best beginner's ski".

I started out 6 months ago paddling 1/2 times per week and bought almost the first ski I saw (it was a good price) rather than paddle a few different makes/models and select one. I realise this wasn't smart but now I am looking to rectify the situation.

The spec ski I have was brand new and considered "tippy" by people who have tried it. I won't mention the make/model here to make sure all options are presented.

So I am prepared to swallow my pride and "downgrade" as I wanted to paddle to have fun and catch waves, but the effort and frustration of constantly falling out once I get out past the break and into open ocean really takes away any enthusiasm for the sport.

Understand that I am not a quitter, but at 45yrs young I want to enjoy paddling rather than take another year of frustration to be able to paddle from Currumbin to Tallebudgera without falling out.

I am prepared to go into whatever lets me enjoy the sport a lot more by staying on the ski rather than under it or next to it. It is also safer as every time you have a stack a smack to the head is likely and possibly not come out of it alive.

Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #14493 by richardh
Hi Swifty.

Hayden's Fat Boy ski looks like it may be stable. I've paddled Hayden's PR2 and found it quite tippy in side chop. I also found the seat a tad too small.

This ski has the seat 20mm lower that the PR2's low seat, so should make it stable.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by richardh.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14495 by Puffpaddler
Hey Swifty,

No shame in getting a more stable ski so you can enjoy your paddling. No point having the fastest ski around if you can't stay on it. As mentioned in the other post by RichardH the lower the seat the more stable the ski.
Most manufacturers offer a choice of seat depth and have demo models that you can take out on the water to get a feel for the boat. Do your research and it will pay off. Good luck.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14507 by latman
Hi Swifty , we have a Mk5 with adjustable length demo ski available at Stealth Surfcraft on the Gold Coast so call us and have a try of it , the bottom of the seat is 4cm from the hull , I will have a Mk6 available next year that will be 2cm. cheers Ian

ps remember the higher above your heels you sit the better the paddling ergonomics are (IMO)
The following user(s) said Thank You: swifty

More
11 years 4 months ago #14513 by richardh
Hi Ian.

Are any of the demo Stealth stable skis in Perth?

More
11 years 4 months ago #14524 by latman
no we have nothing there sorry , a few people have bought fixed length Mk5s however if you happen to be friendly with the clubbies that have them.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14531 by richardh
Thanks

More
11 years 4 months ago #14544 by Dean Gardiner
Hi Richard H we have just released the FENN Spec Skis in Australia. We have two models the LS and Tarpon. The LS comes in shallow and deep seat. The Tarpon is very stable and fully adjustable. We have a demo Tarpon in Perth if you want to give it a run.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14545 by Dean Gardiner
Sorry they are available through Oceanpaddler www.oceanpaddler.com.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14547 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Re: Most stable SLSA Spec Ski?
My friend just bought a spec ski and loves it. He already owns a mako and reckons very good build quality, disclaimer I am no expert and neither is he. But he's happy.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14550 by richardh
Thanks Dean

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14565 by RedBack
I'd second the Hayden "FatBoy" suggestion. A couple of the older paddlers in our club have gone this way and suddenly improved their performance.
I suspect that at the speed they paddle, they're not losing much (if any) boat-speed to the PR2, but being so much more stable, they're able to apply a lot more power on the "FatBoy" than they could on the tippier ski.
It's certainly worth a test paddle.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by RedBack.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14569 by swifty
Thanks Redback, I'll certainly look at that as an option. Whichever way I'll go it'll be a more thorough investigation process this time around.

Interestingly I had a 10mm strip of seat padding glued to the back of my seat well and I feel like I have improved 100% just in the last few days. I really feel 'locked in' now and part of the ski and the difference is amazing.

Either way, I am after something I can enjoy for many years to come and someone will get a very good brand name ski in excellent condition (one numpty owner) for a good price if/when I sell mine.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15504 by FatPaddler
Hey Swifty, one of our crew down in Adelaide tried out the Fat Boy and wrote the following review - hope it helps a little. Cheers, FP
fatpaddler.com/2013/01/surfski-review-ha...r2-fat-boy-spec-ski/

FatPaddler.com - Paddling the world's best waterwa.... hey! Sausages!!

Latest Forum Topics