"You are banned from this site" messages

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #40282 by apey75
Does anyone else get sporradic "You are banned from this site" messages when browsing the forums?

I have only had a couple of posts so can't think of a reason why I would be banned. The messages also aren't consistent - they seem to only display spradically.

Is this something to do with my profile or perhaps a website issue?

Thanks.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by apey75.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #40288 by ErikE
Yes, I do get them too. (Ironically, I got one when trying to read your message :-).
If I go back, and then try again, I'm always let in, so it's not a huge problem. But a bit annoying.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ErikE.

More
1 year 2 months ago #40289 by apey75
Ok, thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like it's something site related. I've found that opening up posts in a new window works around the problem. Like you said, a little annoying but it's workable.

Thanks again!

More
1 year 2 months ago #40294 by [email protected]
I'm sorry about that...

To stop the legions of spammers we have to have defenses up and unfortunately it seems that we're getting quite a few false positives on "bad IPs".

But as someone else noted, the issue seems to resolve itself. It's irritating that it happens sporadically.

I also have to moderate the first couple of posts that any new member makes - the spammers these days manually register to get around the captcha screens...

Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 2 months ago #40295 by apey75
Completely understandable and a small price to pay for having access to the wealth of information on this website.

I was more concerned that I may have hastily typed something wrong in a drunken haze and had my account banned years ago. I breathed a sigh of relief when I learned that it's just a website spam protection mechanism. :)

Thank you.

Latest Forum Topics