2012 PE-EL "Southern Shamaal"

More
12 years 2 months ago #9353 by Col Campbell
G'day all,

Are there any firm dates set for the 2012 PE-EL, as I am trying to arrange my holidays for 2012. From my understanding it is usually early to mid December.

Any info regarding would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9356 by antonsa
Hi

Race will be around 14 t0 17 December - subject to sponsors

Anton Erasmus

More
12 years 2 months ago #9362 by Col Campbell
Thanks Anton.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9365 by PerthPaddler
Hi Anton, will there be a particular format? ( singles/ doubles/ team). Thanks Dave

More
12 years 2 months ago #9382 by antonsa
Race will be for singles and doubles - no team event for 2012 - possibly in 2013 - sponsors permitting!

Cheers

Anton

More
12 years 2 months ago #9555 by PerthPaddler
Hi Anton, I read that the Fenn Cape Point Challenge is scheduled for the 17th Dec 2012, is it likely for the two events to overlap? Just trying to plan trips. Thanks

More
12 years 2 months ago #9556 by antonsa
Hi

yes just seen that Cape Point is 16th December so we are looking at 8 to 12 December - so paddlers can do both - now that is awesome!

Cheers

Anton

More
12 years 2 months ago #9566 by jbrings
Hi Anton. When will this date be finalised. We have some guys here in Europe needing to plan flights. Many thanks.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9568 by [email protected]
Hi Anton.

Just spoken to the guys down here... The calendar has:

9 December 2012: Peter Creese Race, Fish Hoek
16 December 2012: Cape Town World Cup (part of Oceanpaddler World Series)
22 December 2012: Cape Point Challenge

So to schedule PE-EL from 8-12 probably works best!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11392 by PerthPaddler
Hi Anton;
Just wondering if any dates had yet been confirmed for the PE to EL Southern Shamaal for 2012? Is there likely to be a website with details? Not long now and keen to travel from Aussie. Thanks

More
11 years 10 months ago #11393 by [email protected]
Spoke to Anton a couple of days ago. The situation then was:

- The PE2EL race is scheduled for 8-12 December.
- There is currently no sponsorship for the race
- They need around R80K for safety only

Anton didn't sound over confident but said that meetings were happening in the near future to find some sponsorship. He will be making announcements soon.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11394 by Col Campbell
It will be a bummer if Anton can't come up with the cash & the race can't go ahead.

There are about 5 of us here in Dubai training in earnest for it.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11558 by [email protected]
Here's an update on the Challenge, put out by Gavin Dickinson:

Quick update on Challenge planning.

The PE EL Challenge was 1st raced 40 years ago (1972) thus the 2012 event will be the 20th race.

In all probability it will run Dec 6th - 9th.

We are looking at an event that celebrates the past 40 years (with branding that includes all the past sponsors) giving it a 'classic' feel.

The budget is written & 1 sponsor has shown interest.

Sponsor or not the event will run, as long as the safety plan is accepted. Entry will be R1 500 pp. These entries have to paid in full by October 1st. Anybody not paid up & committed + training hard by Oct 1st will be a safety liability.

Key points are:

1) Qualifiers will be tough. Only fit & capable paddlers will make the start line. We are thinking 40km in 4hrs 30 as base speed. Qualifiers will be in EL & CT and maybe Durbs.
2) Paddlers who fall off leading boats by more than 25% on any day can be pulled off water at beach stoppage point. This is at race directors discretion.
3) Event is PE EL solo with single or double ski's.
4) Wind of 25km to 35km (not more) will be out and back. 35km + we turn day & day is cancelled if we cannot rescue (wind, surf, rough sea etc). This will need more debate & agreement.

Those right now are base points. You can spread the word if you wish...

As long as safety plan is approved & race director happy to sign (Anton E), we are rolling.

We will formally launch the 2012 event by latest end of June. I need to wait on the sponsor....

Cheers

G

CC - Rob SS.I
Haydon DSKC.
Anton - Challenge Race Director.

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #11561 by Col Campbell
Goods news, thanks for the update. :woohoo:

More
11 years 10 months ago #11562 by antonsa
Hi all hardcore paddlers

We need to get the vibe going for this year's PE to EL challenge - you have read Gavin's note. I really want this event to be around for my kids to do, so the more positive noise (and eventual entries) the more chance that we have on pulling a sponsor on board. Even without a sponsor we will make the race happen - provided there are enough entries to cover the costs.

Start training,saving (fewer beers), negotiating (with wife/boss who ever controls your life) and get ready for a 4 day paddle along an awesome stretch of coast with a bunch of great guys. Yeah it is tough but then if it wasn't then nobody would give a damn.

See you on the water

Anton Erasmus - Race Director/Paddler

More
11 years 10 months ago #11563 by PerthPaddler
Hi Anton, this is really good news. Can I ask about qualifiers for paddles not living in RSA. I would travel from Perth for this- what is the ruling on qualification? Thanks Dave

More
11 years 10 months ago #11566 by antonsa
No problem - do a 40 km paddle get your club chairman/ safety officer to sign it off as real (or a guy like Ash Nesbit) and we will be happy with that.
it will great to have a Perthite on the race - perhaps Richard Eady and others will get their butts over here!

Cheers

Anton

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #11575 by Chris.B
Hi Anton

Is there a discount on entries fees for students.......

Chris
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Chris.B.

• paddler4christ
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #12116 by paddler4christ
Replied by paddler4christ on topic Re: 2012 PE-EL "Southern Shamaal"
I am in and ready to go, lets make it a tough one like the old days

More
11 years 9 months ago #12118 by PerthPaddler
Hi Anton, are we any closer to a confirmation of this race. Still hoping that it is GO!

Latest Forum Topics